Acoustic Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are shopping for a new SUV, and were surprised to learn that some car makers are now using acoustic glass to help make the cars ride quieter. We test drove a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Highlander, both of which had acoustic glass. Their rides were both very good and comparable. However when I got home and did some research I noticed that Honda only installs acoustic glass on their higher end models (EX-L and above, in the Pilot's case). We prefer the Pilot over the Highlander and only want an EX, not EX-L. And of course no dealer locally has an EX in stock to test drive.

So my question is, does anyone know if acoustic glass makes a noticeable difference? I couldn't find any factual information about that online. Of the Honda's & Toyota's I've owned in the past, Honda's always seemed to have more road noise. The new Pilots we drove were surprisingly quiet. I don't want to order an EX model and be disappointed because we were unable to test drive on first. We make a lot of long highway drives, so noise is important to us.

Thanks

Car makers do testing so they think it does. Our Ford Explorer has it as did our Lincoln MKX ...

$300 on DynaMat goes a long way - stick closed cell foam (cheap) over DM and it really works ...

Acoustic glass makes a difference. I use to take NVH measurements during new vehicle development while working for one of the OEMs. I have measured up to a 3db reduction between regular tempered and Acoustic, if all other conditions are the same.

I have a 2016 CX-9 Signature... acoustic glass on the front doors and windshield....the most quietest vehicle I have ever experienced.
It is far more quieter than the Pilot, Highlander and Pathfinder.

I have a GLK350 which is also very quiet, like a vault.... the new CX-9 to my surprise beats it..

Last edited:
Our 2013 Explorer had acoustic glass and it was very quiet inside. I think it really helps on the highway with wind noise. More manufacturers are using it now and I don't think they'd put the money into it if it wasn't effective.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Our 2013 Explorer had acoustic glass and it was very quiet inside. I think it really helps on the highway with wind noise. More manufacturers are using it now and I don't think they'd put the money into it if it wasn't effective.

+1 Our terrain has it too. While there are many other factors which have been outlined already such as insulation, tires, seals etc. I feel glass is also a large factor in terms of keeping a vehicle quiet.

So what is the reason why you are sticking with the EX instead of the EX-L? Money? If you are going to be doing a lot of traveling etc. I would spend the extra cash if possible to get the acoustic glass. it probably also has a lot of other improvements which will make your ride quality that much nicer.

Quote:
So what is the reason why you are sticking with the EX instead of the EX-L?

We do not want leather seats, prefer cloth. Money is not the issue. If we could get a higher end Pilot with acoustical glass without leather, we'd do it.

PS. I've done my fair share of sound deadening in the past ...Dynamat, Secondskin, etc., including an '05 Pilot I once owned. Really don't want to do that this time.

Last edited:
I think it does help although how much I don't know.

Another benefit of it in my experience is that it may increase the "toughness" of the windshield. I've got 2 chips in the windshield of the Taurus for going on 4 years now. Tiny spiderwebs but they have not grown at all in those 4 years. They have not been filled or touched and the car has been hot, cold, washed, etc. I fully expect at some point that they will spread but for now they are staying put.

My base 2016 C Max SE has it too but only the windshield. The rest of the glass is regular grade.
Is this the norm?? If so I can't see huge benefits...

My '09 Pontiac G8 GT has an acoustic glass windshield. On G8Board, virtually every member who had their windshields replaced with standard glass (because they were not aware their cars came with acoustic glass windshields) noticed an increase in noise.

We still have our 2004 Buick Rainier. It has acoustic glass on the front side windows (not sure about windshield). One could guess that the OEMs were/are trying to reduce turbulence noise around the mirrors especially. You see that mentioned quite often in NVH input in auto test articles in the major car mags. They probably have the same problems with wipers/A pillar boundaries. Probably worth the money although, like you, I've gotten tired of leather seating.

Ford seems to be putting it on all the windshields of their new cars. My Fiesta is relatively quiet for the type of car it is. Most of the noise that gets into the cabin comes from the wheels.

My 2016 Crosstrek Limited has an acoustic windshield....Crosstrek's are notorious for having a lot of cabin noise but I have to say that this glass does help a lot. As asiancivicmaniac noted, most of the road noise seems to come from the tires.

It is quite a bit quieter than the 2014 Crosstrek I owned previously

Just to close the loop, we ended up buying an EX Pilot with cloth interior ... which is pretty rare vehicle right now. Anyway, we've decided that it is a tad bit noisier on the highway than the EX-L's with acoustic glass we test drove. It's a really nice ride around town, but noticeably nosier on the highway. Cloth seats are way more comfortable too ... at least we think so.
23.gif

I may add some sound deadening some day.

If you ever decide to upgrade factory speakers - great time to kill sound in the doors - peel and stick.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
If you ever decide to upgrade factory speakers - great time to kill sound in the doors - peel and stick.

Completely true. Amazing results in any vehicle I have tried it in. My son and I first put it in the doors of an old Shadow (K car) we were turning and it was amazing how much quieter the whole car was. Probably one of the best bang per buck mods for sound quality as well from door speakers.

Side effect? Very heavy. Unfortunately the lighter weight versions just don't dampen as well as the heavy ones. Cheap options abound, be sure to shop the Net for pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back