Oil for Honda 5hp four stroke outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Honda BF5A , probably a 1998 or 1999. All the decals and engine serial numbers are gone. The manuals specify either 10w30 marine oil or 5w30. What would be a good choice for this motor besides the OEM honda stuff at $10/quart.
I know it requires a higher level of corrosion protection which is usually just some added calcium salts. This will be primarily a backup power supply and used a bit for back trolling. This will be very limited use. The previous owner had not changed the oil in a long time and it had a slight grey sludge look to it like it either had water intrusion or sat in a wet environment. I know it was a sail boat motor and sat in a wet well. It was possibly used in salt water at one time.
After I drained the oil , I flushed it with some Amsoil transmission fluid and then some 5w30 i had lying around to get all the old oil out. Inside looks very clean through the fill hole and it ran perfectly while i warmed it up before I drained the old oil.
I was thinking synthetic PU or ?.

I'd run it normally with that 5w30 at least once to stir up the sump then make a switch to a HDEO 10w30. (Rotella or perhaps Chevron depending on availability.)

So you think it had moisture in the case ? Pennzoil Marine is about $7 - I get RP HPM for a few pennies more.
HDEO will give you some good TBN too ...

I ran Napa 5W-30 synthetic in my Honda. Worked fine, stayed nice and clear.

I'd change it, run it hard a few times, change it again and then you're OK
smile.gif

The man i got it from lives in a million+ dollar mansion that used to be a golf course club house.
I don't think he stole it.
The serial numbers were probably all on stickers that the glue failed .
There are no stamped serial numbers except one on the engine case that told me very little except the series of engine it was.
I put some Pennzoil 5w30 in her for now and will swap it out before she gets laid up for the winter.
The lower had the original green honda lower lube.
I put some sierra gear lube i had lying around in it.
Not sure it meets honda specs , but it said for all lower units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back