FMCO 2.0L factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a source for the factory fill motor oil in the 2016 FMCO 2.0L turbo boost engine?
Cap indicates SAE 5W30.
Is the motor oil a special break in oil?

Ask your dealer as any oil should be on their approved list due to warranty restrictions.

Some new cars do not use a special factory fill, whilst other use an oil that has more Moly or Zinc based additives. Top dogs in the factory fill game are Mobil, Castrol and Fuchs who supply base stocks to Liqui Moly and part own that company.

Factory fill oils should not be changed before the recommended first service unless you can obtain the exact same oil, which in the case of special brews is very difficult.

Last edited:
Do know the factory fill for 5.7L RAM is PYB,while Honda uses a special break in oil.

Last edited:
Know what owners manual specifies.
Looking for the factory fill, probably a special blend or OTS Motorcraft premium blend SAE 5W30

OK, News flash here. I know that some people will think that what I'm about to say is blasphemy but manufacturers don't stick with just one oil company for the factory fill. OEMs will put out a request for bids along with the required specs and the winning bidder will have that contract for 12 to 18 months or so. After that the bidding process will start over again.

Also. Just because the oil cap says Pennzoil, Mobil1 Castrol or what ever else that does not mean that specific product is in the crank case. The Oil Cap has been reduced to paid advertisement space just like any fender in NASCAR.

Lubricants and other fluids are a bulk product. Oil Companies are switched often enough to make it impossible to tell what your factory fill is.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
OK, News flash here. I know that some people will think that what I'm about to say is blasphemy but manufacturers don't stick with just one oil company for the factory fill. OEMs will put out a request for bids along with the required specs and the winning bidder will have that contract for 12 to 18 months or so. After that the bidding process will start over again.

Also. Just because the oil cap says Pennzoil, Mobil1 Castrol or what ever else that does not mean that specific product is in the crank case. The Oil Cap has been reduced to paid advertisement space just like any fender in NASCAR.

Lubricants and other fluids are a bulk product. Oil Companies are switched often enough to make it impossible to tell what your factory fill is.

Mostly correct. Too many mfgrs to label all of them with one swipe.

Point one is entirely correct. Low bidder is the source, simple economics rules and the bean counters control everything these days.

Re: the oil cap advertising, I can speak to the SRT division which specifically used exactly what was on the cap for the first couple of years of the 6.1 liter versions. They were exempt from many of the bean counters wishes, early cars like mine got real AMG parts in them like trans and rear ends with Bilstein shocks, etc.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Syn-blend 5w30, used to be 5w20 i think but Ford were having problems so they went back to 5w30 recently

Only the Ecoboosts. All the other gas motors get 5W20 except the GT350 and GT350R, those get 5W50. The 1.0, 1.5, and 1.6L Ecoboosts use 5W20 still. The hybrids are using 0W20.

Since the consensus is the factory fill on the 2016 FMCO 2.0L turbo is Motorcraft premium blend SAE 5W30, will OC at 1000 miles on initial fill, then with use same Motorcraft for two OC at 3000 miles each,then go with group 3 full synethic

I wouldn't change the FF early. I'd also stick w the semi synthetic for one or two OCIs - following the OLM. I feel this seats the rings better. Then go full synthetic and follow OLM.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Syn-blend 5w30, used to be 5w20 i think but Ford were having problems so they went back to 5w30 recently

Only the Ecoboosts. All the other gas motors get 5W20 except the GT350 and GT350R, those get 5W50. The 1.0, 1.5, and 1.6L Ecoboosts use 5W20 still. The hybrids are using 0W20.

Ford actually switched the 6.2L in the Super Duty to 5W-30 for the 2016 model year & it's still the same for the new 2017. 2011-2015 recommended 5W-20. They gave no explanation why either.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

Ford actually switched the 6.2L in the Super Duty to 5W-30 for the 2016 model year & it's still the same for the new 2017. 2011-2015 recommended 5W-20. They gave no explanation why either.

You know why and they will never utter a word about it
lol.gif

They need more film strength. Too many warranty claims. The bean counters asked what would work to reduce warranty claims, the engineers said heavier oil. They ran the numbers and figured out they could live with the 0.02% CAFE hit and upped the oil. Simple as that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Branson304

You know why and they will never utter a word about it
lol.gif

They need more film strength. Too many warranty claims. The bean counters asked what would work to reduce warranty claims, the engineers said heavier oil. They ran the numbers and figured out they could live with the 0.02% CAFE hit and upped the oil. Simple as that
smile.gif

But I've never heard of 6.2Ls having any problems at all, especially oil related problems. I put over 160K on a 2011 6.2L with nothing but 5W-20 & it still ran like new when I sold it. The 2012 in my signature always got 5W-20 until the last oil change where I switched it to 5W-30. That being said, my 2015 F-250 6.2L & 2014 F-150 5.0L are both getting 5W-30 PP at their next oil change versus the recommended 5W-20.

They also haven't back-spec'd 2011-2015 6.2Ls for 5W-30 to my knowledge. So who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back