Switching to LM Toptech 4200 with Ceratec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Passat TDI that has quickly compiled 50k miles. The first 4 oc were all on Castrol Pro LL03 and just decided to change things up. I did a blackstone uoa at 20k and 30k. i haven't sent in the 30k uoa yet but plan on doing it soon. Majority of miles are by my wife with her 100+ daily commute to work, 95% highway and multiple weekend trips following daughters college softball team all over the place.
Changed the oil this afternoon to liqi moly toptech 4200, their 507 oil, and used their Ceratec additive too. i logged about 170 miles after the oil change taking care of weekend business, all highway, and logged a hand calculated 52 mpg. this mpg isn't unusual for this car and have logged several 50+ tanks in the past. The engine was already quiet so i cant say there is any reduction of noise as many have reported but on the way back home i did notice a lot less engine braking, seems to coast faster/easier on the downhill side of our WV mountains. Its not like the engine really had much in the way of engine braking to begin with as the fuel is cut when coasting so you basically get a spring action of the air being compressed and bouncing back but it is what it is.
i will be sending in the 30k Castrol sample and in about two months or so will rack up my 10k oci to see if the liqi moly/ceratec combo produces any changes.

Ceratec is great till you consume any oil. I used it and found great results in a 2012 Hyundai Accent. If it starts to gobble oil, go LM Mos2 for the sake of your catalytic converter and spark plugs/glow plugs.Rumor has it that it insulates and causes issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Ceratec is great till you consume any oil. I used it and found great results in a 2012 Hyundai Accent. If it starts to gobble oil, go LM Mos2 for the sake of your catalytic converter and spark plugs/glow plugs.Rumor has it that it insulates and causes issue.

Ceratec contains both Moly and a hexagonal form of Boron Nitride (In ultra fine ceramic form). It might cause a minor amount of deposits on the spark plugs BUT only if your engine is burning a lot of oil and you don't change the plugs for a very long time. If particles of the ceramic layer are worn off, THEY DO NOT GET STUCK in the EGR or CAT. A DPF might stop a few, but the amount worn off the cylinder walls and rings would be very, very small.

I do use Ceratec in both of my old cars and it's one great additive.

The best oils made by Liqui Moly are in their SYNTHOIL range, not Top Tec or any of their non group full full synthetics. Alas it's also their most expensive oil although I do use LM Synthoil High Tech 5w40 (A3/B4) when it's on special, otherwise I use Shell (Penn in the US) Ultra 0 or 5w40 (A3/B4). When I'm in the US I just use Mobil 1.

Well with the diesels DPF im kinda stuck with the low ash Top Tech 4200 flavor. I do use Mobil 1 in my Transit Connect, Honda Civic and Jetta. Through 50K i have never had to add any top up oil to the TDI btwn the 10k OCI's so im not overly concerned about any of the previously mentioned Ceratec warnings. At the drain of this new run of oil and subsequent UOA will go a long way toward the decision to sell back the Passat or take the fix and motor on.

Oops, just noticed this car is a 2015 one, so the OP should use the oil listed by VW, otherwise it can invalidate the warranty.
When you select any oil it's a good idea to use the oil finder or guide page of the oil company concerned. Liqui Moly do have an English tab for the German web site (liqui-moly.de) and their finder is one of the most accurate I have seen, BUT it might list a longer OCI that their US version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back