Chevron Delo syn blend 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know already, my '95 Caprice 5.7L LT1 with 56k was neglected in the past. It shows in the oil report here. Also click if you want to see the sludge in the valve covers and gunked up PCV valve. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4207811#Post4207811

Instead of using something drastic such as an engine flush or MMO, I want to clean it out naturally. Yes I know it'll take time. I will do 2k oci's.

What's the census on Chevron Delo? I'm looking at the 10w30 syn blend since the Caprice takes 5w30/10w30 anyways. How's the detergent level on it? How is compared ro Rotella? Would it be ok to run the 15w-40 as well?

The only oil flush additives that are risky (Mostly for a turbo or VVT unit) are drive around oil scourers like Marvel Mystery Oil.
Trying to clean a CCV by using multiple oil changes using a high detergent oil (Mobil 1 is good as is Penn Ultra) will be very difficult as oil only splashes the CCV, it does not flow through it.

I would use a Liqui Moly (Make sure to use the right one as they make at least 3 flushes), Lubegard or Amsoil idle use flush (10 or 15 mins just before an oil & filter change), although to be honest you may need to change the CCV valve, or remove and clean it with acetone to get it to work.

If you can remove the sump and clean the oil pump intake it would be one good idea with a badly sludged engine and I would use half a can (Might need a full can in a bad dripper) of a major brand stop leak additive once the engine is cleaned up.
When cleaning up a block don't use a thicker oil than OEM spec or you will slow down the oil flow around the top end.

Last edited:
Delo or Rotella 10w-30 would be a good choice. Have you verified that the engine reaches operating temperature?

Hi gallydif -

Rotella T6 5W-40 has a higher level of detergency than our mineral oil product, so if you're going for cleaning action, that would be our recommendation!

- The Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back