Another spark plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day to all my question is what choice of spark plugs will be the better option.....NGK from auto parts stores or OEM spark plugs from the dealer.

So far the difference im seeing is the price...is there any other? thanks

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Nissan n16 sunny
The dealer price is $300 and i can get NGK at the auto-parts store for $65

Find out what model/company plugs the dealer uses. Either NGK or Denso. Theres always cross reference parts for cheap. sparkplugs.com is a great source. Use iridium for longevity.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You can't go wrong with ngk

Really? I've certainly heard of lots of domestic cars that didn't do well with them.

If the OE plug is NGK, then they are the same, so just get the better price. Remember, Rock Auto ships worldwide
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Really? I've certainly heard of lots of domestic cars that didn't do well with them.

+1 to that. I think people just like to type NGK when asked about a spark plug. I've had an experience where they performed very poorly, and had to replace them after a couple hundred miles because my mpg had dropped drastically. ~25%.... They're not the solution to everything.

NGK is OEM Nissan and works better than most in Japanese cars. There should be no surprise that NGK doesnt work well in something that is supposed to use Autolite, AC Delco, or Champion.

Last edited:
OEM from the dealer not Fleabay, or Bosch from one of their service centers. Be careful with Fleabay copies or re-imports, as they might be made to a lower standard and not intended for sale in the US, UK or EU.

Denso's were the stock plugs in my Versa, but for some reason I prefer NGK's (not to mention being able to use 30% at Advance Auto and getting a $10 rebate card which put them at equal pricing with the Denso's). I did experience some loss in gas mileage at first, but switching to an air filter with better flow seemed to fix that.

OEM from the manual is NGK LFR5A-11. Lots of choices where to buy that will ship to you.
Here is rock auto . About $4 each
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ngk,6376,spark+plug,7212

Originally Posted By: bvance554

+1 to that. I think people just like to type NGK when asked about a spark plug. I've had an experience where they performed very poorly, and had to replace them after a couple hundred miles because my mpg had dropped drastically. ~25%.... They're not the solution to everything.

+2

I always use American plugs in American cars - even though NGK or Denso does make the newer double-Pt/Ir plugs for GM, Ford and Chrysler. However, AC Delco plugs are either made by UCI-Fram in Mexico(regular ones), Champion(Rapidfire series) or NGK/Denso. Best way to find out is look at the plug shells. At least Mopar has the manufacturer's logo on the box.

Just about all Japanese cars come with NGK from the factory. When I'm working at Napa and a customer asks for spark plugs for a Japanese brand car, I look up NGKs and look for the part number that says "Actual OE Part" under it and give the customer those. My point is, you don't have to go to the dealer to get OEM plugs.

Run Denso TT in my truck...they work great!
Run NGK in my wife's BMW...they work great!
Ordered Denso TT for the Miata...will update next week ;-)

The OLD saying that NGK doesn't work well in American cars is pure [censored]. Its a spark plug. Does it spark?

Im running NGK iridiums in the Mustang. Runs great.

The Silverado had AC Delco's in it with NGK stamped in side of the spark plug......... I guess GM didn't know [censored] plugs work bad in US engines.

On the flip side, the saying that NGK and Denso are the only plugs to use in Asian cars is bunk. My Honda Accord came from the factory in Ohio in 1989 with Champion plugs. As long as you are buying the correct plug for your car it doesn't matter what brand it is.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
The OLD saying that NGK doesn't work well in American cars is pure [censored]. Its a spark plug. Does it spark?

Im running NGK iridiums in the Mustang. Runs great.

The Silverado had AC Delco's in it with NGK stamped in side of the spark plug......... I guess GM didn't know [censored] plugs work bad in US engines.

The [censored] plugs (your words not mine) took my regular 40mog vehicle down to 28mpg. I don't blame NGK (they were OEM), just assume I had a bad set or something. Replaced with Autolites and performance and efficiency were restored. They're not the Holy Grail.

Originally Posted By: asand1

NGK is OEM Nissan and works better than most in Japanese cars. There should be no surprise that NGK doesnt work well in something that is supposed to use Autolite, AC Delco, or Champion.

^^^...EXACTLY......^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back