Advice to yourself if you could turn back time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What advice would you give yourself if you could go back in time to the day you finished high school ?

Basically a one on one talk about advice and mistakes to avoid in life...

Don't worry about the future, you'll learn to turn back time and undo your mistakes.

This very moment is all you have. It is all that exists. The past, the future, do they even really exist at all? I was listening to a podcast just yesterday where they were talking about that kind of stuff and how to re-frame your way of thinking to be happier and more successful.

Basically dwelling on the past is just lost energy; worrying about what could you have done, or what should you have done is a waste because you can not go back in time, and trying to predict or make perfect choices in the future is also a waste because you really don't know what's gonna happen, who you will meet etc.

It's the hardest thing for me to do is just let life ride and not worry so much about the past or future, but I still think it's a good idea of course to try and make smart decisions, live below your means, have healthy relationships with people and ditch the bad influences and negative people etc.

Last edited:
Invest and save. Don't drink or take drugs.
When I think of the money and time I wasted from age 17-25, I feel ill.
I had a lot of fun (at least that's what I called it back then), but the next 35 years was payback.

Focus on your Navy career and not women, they are nothing but trouble.

I let my then girlfriend talk me into getting out of the Navy after my enlistment and moving back up north. Went to college and got married. She turned out to have all sorts of issues and I got a degree in a field that i don't really have a passion for or enjoy working in. We got divorced shortly after we were married and I have regretted getting out of the Navy the last 12 years.

Granted I am remarried and love my current wife and kids, I have a stable job etc. However, it's not the path I feel like I should have taken as I lack passion for my current situation, especially my career.

Last edited:
1) Whatever ideas and other mental constructs you are attached to now, tomorrow's posterity will show their weaknesses. Temper any advice given you by all time travellers from the future with this wisdom: They, too, will eventually find themselves foolish.

2) Stop telling people the Detroit Lions are "going to get it together next year". This is the one exception to the previous point.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would've taken more risks and not play it safe all the time (not talking about investing or finances).

Not me. You might be dead. Take risks when you are much older. And if you can't take them now you wouldn't have been able to then. Sounds nice to say but saying is different than doing.

I cant say I have many regrets, and fortunately, havent had much bad/wrong occur. My greatest regret is wasting some time doing stupid stuff... which cost both time and money for no good return.

The biggest regret I have is hanging out with people who aren't moving forward in life. If your buddies are still doing the same routine as 20 years ago and aren't driving Lexus or Benz's,let them go. Best to buy a doberman dog and focus on the good stuff.

Originally Posted By: supton
An older me attempting to counsel a younger me wouldn't have had any impact.
As would be the same for the vast majority in this post including myself. There is a reason we have to learn through experience...

Advice to myself?

1. You're on the right course. The sacrifices that you and your wife make early on will pay off quite well when you're older.
2. Never compromise your values. You'll come across a lot of people who don't have the same values, morals and standards as you have. Never let them compromise yours.
3. Get involved in local politics earlier. You can and will make a difference as long as you remember #2 above.
4. You have a lot of fantastic surprises ahead of you-hang on because it's going to be an incredible ride.
5. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Ever.

Pops,
did the message to always rub other people's noses in it get sent from future pops, or was it something that you were born with ?

Just sharpened my blade in the Walmart clearance aisle. - $7 ! (Wanted to take all, but felt too greedy and took one) ...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: supton
An older me attempting to counsel a younger me wouldn't have had any impact.
As would be the same for the vast majority in this post including myself. There is a reason we have to learn through experience...

Originally Posted By: Mark Twain
Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.

can I bring a sports almanac from 1981 to 2016 and give to myself during that talk???? That would just about solve any problem I could run into!!! They say money can't buy love or happiness, but it sure as #ell can get 99.9999% close to it!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back