Oil Recommendation for 2014 VW Jetta 2.0 Liter Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m looking for an oil recommendation to put in my recently acquired 2014 Volkswagen Jetta. It is the base model engine a 2.0 liter inline 4 cylinder with no turbo and it has 30k miles on it. The manual calls for 5w40 or 5w30 of a VW 502 00, 503 00, or 504 00. It is still under warranty so I want to stick to the VW approved oils. This car will be used as a daily commuter on mostly highway and very easy calm driving. I’ll be running ethanol free gas of 87 octane, unless I can find some that is 91 octane. I also want to stick to the manufacturer’s drain schedule of 10,000 miles.

With all that information does anyone have any suggestions of which oil would be the best to use? Price probably doesn’t matter to much on a 10,000 mile change interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd use Castrol 0W-40 and an OEM filter.

Ditto on his recommendation. That oil can be found in some Wal-Mart locations in 5 qt jugs. That particular Castrol is made in Germany and contains titanium, which is a good anti-wear additive when the oil hasn't fully warmed up yet.

Not all Wal-Marts stock this oil. My local Wal-Mart doesn't, but the one not much further away does.

M1 and Castrol 0w40 are good, and Synpower 5w40 works, too.

If you like clear bottles, Mag 1 5w40 meets VW standards too
smile.gif

Thank you all for the suggestions. A Mann filter should be pretty much identical to the OEM filters right?

I am in Arkansas so finding walmarts is pretty easy. I'll take a look around at a few different ones and hopefully find something acceptable.

Last edited:
It's a barely updated version of the ancient 2.slow. You could run it on dog dish water and it would likely survive.

Any approved oil would be fine. After the warranty period, I wouldn't have any trouble running reputable oils that aren't vw approved, if you want to. A slightly shorter inverval would cover you in that case. My wife used to have a 2.0 Beetle, so I have experience with this engine.

Rented a new one today - abs warning, airbag warning, and some steering wheel icon !!! on/off for 90 miles on the freeway ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Rented a new one today - abs warning, airbag warning, and some steering wheel icon !!! on/off for 90 miles on the freeway ...

There is a recall to address this. Odd the rental agency hadn't had it done...

Nothing is wrong, just a software glitch that affects random Jettas.

Owned three crossflow 2.0 8v vdubs in the 90's. Ran them on Castrol GTX mostly. I would go with either Edge or Mobil1 in 0w40 since they are the cheapest and two of the best VW approved oils you'll find with ease (Walmart). After the warranty is up, do as you please. I believe any major brand name will be fine with OCI modification.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 4WD

There is a recall to address this. Odd the rental agency hadn't had it done...

Nothing is wrong, just a software glitch that affects random Jettas.

Well, VW is good at "fixing" their software...
smile.gif

I vote Mobil 1 0W-40, but Castrol is good as well...

Agreed, Mobil 1 would be my preference but Castrol is fine as well. Don't get too hung up on anything exotic either now or down the road. You can waste a lot of time and money chasing Motul / LiquiMoly / Pentosin / etc. brands but they won't be any better than the two mentioned above.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Castrol 0w40. When I was at the VW dealership I saw cases and cases of Castrol Edge Professional 5w30 which lead me to believe that's mainly what they use. Does anyone know what the difference is and whether they likely use that because it's cheaper or does it just have more applicable vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back