40" Vizio Smart HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

There were some old threads but I wanted the latest info.
277 at Walmart. I would be replacing our 15+ year old Sanyo Dumb TV. I have Comcast and hope possibly eventually buy a high Def. Aerial and eliminate the TV portion of comcast and maybe the Comcast Phone and go to Ooma.

My son just mentioned instead of a smart TV I should buy a ROKU Streaming Stick (3600 R). He indicated that the "Smart" Tv will get obsolete relatively quickly and a newer streaming stick can then be installed?

Consumer Reports has also said to forget the "smart" part of a smart TV. A Roku will stream as will a PS4 and other devices. You can be pretty sure TV app designers will continue to write apps for Roku, but maybe not a TV. And if a Roku goes bad or is not upgradeable it's only $50 for a new one

I would not use the SmartTV for stuff like Netflix and etc. because Firestick or another streaming box is probably going to be better. On the other hand, a SmartTV like a Samsung will have a very excellent programming guide that gets the information from the net. If you are a cord cutter like I am, then that programming guide is a really good feature.

I had problems with a Samsung SmartTV, so I took it back, and got a regular Samsung, and I immediately missed the programming guide. Samsung has a good one for sure, and if I had to do it over again I would buy the SmartTV just for the programming guide.

We got a 4k TV and the embedded software works just fine. We use Pandora and Youtube and Netflix. No way Id waste money on another device to bandaid what isnt currently broken, at least until it does get slow and problemmatic...

All the smart sticks and Apple TVs and whatnot will only improve by then...

There aren't many non-smart TVs left to choose from. I have 3 of the Vizio D-Series sets, they give great performance at a good price. My experience is they are a great value.

So can one buy a smart TV but use and ungrade using the various "sticks"? I'm currently on TW cable but if prices go up any more I have to consider other options. Unfortunately any dish option will be difficult because of all the surrounding trees. Had that checked out a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: Bear
So can one buy a smart TV but use and ungrade using the various "sticks"?

Yes, of course.

I've got an older Samsung smartTV, but I have not used its smart capabilities in ages as it's really slow. I just use my Roku player with it. I've got a few Chromecasts laying around somewhere as well, but I find the Roku superior.

Originally Posted By: Bear
So can one buy a smart TV but use and ungrade using the various "sticks"?

Absolutely. Compared with the built-in apps on smart televisions, I MUCH prefer the consistent interface of Roku or Apple TV (whichever one you're into). We have three Rokus; one in the basement, one in the living room, and then another one in our bedroom. No matter where we go, we have the same apps, same look and feel, and same content available to us. We can even travel with them, and bring our apps with us. We have Samsung and Sony smart televisions, but I find their interfaces clunky and non-intuitive. We also have a Sony Blu Ray player, and it's not all that easy to use (though I do find it the best of the non-Rokus).

If whatever TV you're buying has an HDMI port (and they all do now), you can plug in the streaming device of your choice.

We used to get local programming over the air when we lived in North Carolina. Here in Virginia, we're west of the Blue Ridge and cannot get anything. So we buy the basic cable/internet package from Comcast and continue to steam most stuff across the Roku.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If whatever TV you're buying has an HDMI port (and they all do now), you can plug in the streaming device of your choice.

Moreover, if your home theater receiver has an HDMI port, you can plug in the streaming device directly into your receiver to help ensure your Dolby Digital or other surround sound formatted audio gets preserved and reproduced correctly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports has also said to forget the "smart" part of a smart TV. A Roku will stream as will a PS4 and other devices. You can be pretty sure TV app designers will continue to write apps for Roku, but maybe not a TV. And if a Roku goes bad or is not upgradeable it's only $50 for a new one

Yea..I called my son who is prety up on the stuff and he recommended the Roku 3600R. I guess I will go with the Samsung

Can't go wrong with the Vizio. We bought 3 this year. 32" D series for the camper, 40" E series for the bedroom and 70" M series for the living room. The picture on al is awesome and easily one of the best TVs out there today. We use the Apple TV and the built in Chromecase on the E and M series for smart content (Netflix, Vudu, etc). Works really well.

Last edited:
Over Labor Day weekend, I bought a Samsung 65" 4K 8000 model to replace my 50" plasma and all I can say is WOW! It really does upgrade Comcast's signal and full 4K media is simply sensational. Football and racing this weekend is fantastic!

Of importance to me, I was able to save my 11yo HDMI-less Denon receiver with an optical cable connection.

Last edited:
Here around many parts of Utah ComCast compresses the signal so much that you get a superior signal going with an antenna.

Last edited:
You can get a cheaper 40 inch TV with the same picture on newegg or amazon for probably $75-$100 cheaper.

No sense in researching, tv's are pretty darn cheap.

Get a roku or amazon fire stick if you want to play with apps.

I have a 50 inch Changhong TV from newegg that was $240 and a 40 inch Insignia TV that was $175, both work fine.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Over Labor Day weekend, I bought a Samsung 65" 4K 8000 model to replace my 50" plasma and all I can say is WOW! It really does upgrade Comcast's signal and full 4K media is simply sensational. Football and racing this weekend is fantastic!

Of importance to me, I was able to save my 11yo HDMI-less Denon receiver with an optical cable connection.

Yeah, we didnt bother to upgrade until 4k was reasonably priced... 1080p isnt worth it, IMO.

Quote:

Yeah, we didnt bother to upgrade until 4k was reasonably priced... 1080p isnt worth it, IMO.

It seems like there is little content out for 4K so what makes it worth it currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back