Motor Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand of motor oil do you always want to buy but your cheapness or lack of cash flow
makes you buy the economy brand instead.

None. This site convinced me that the Motorcraft I get at the dealer is just fine. If the price were within 2-3 dollars a gallon Of other name brand oil, I'd still probably use M-1.

I'd love to get back into using Redline, I had a great experience with it in my 2002 Tacoma with a supercharger at 12,000-15,000 OCI about 7 years ago. However my current fleet of vehicles are all easy on oils or are of an age/mileage that I couldn't justify the cost. Especially with my current stash of cheap oil or rebate/sale oil. If I could've purchased it for a similar price to widely available oils I'd probably go back. However with the oils available now I just can't justify the added cost.

Doesn't happen. I see no point in spending ridiculous amounts of money to buy 'boutique' oils, when there are so many excellent oils available at low prices, like PYB, PUP, Motorcraft, QSUD, etc.. To me, they're all great oils at great prices.

Never thought about it.

Perhaps Castrol Classic XL 20W-50. (which of course you can't get here). Then I could kid myself I had a classic.

I don't really covet oil, but I could covet, say, an early E-type to put it in.

castrol2050.jpg

It says its for pre-80's cars, but I'd guess it'd be OK in anything without a catalytic converter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Never thought about it.

Perhaps Castrol Classic XL 20W-50. (which of course you can't get here). Then I could kid myself I had a classic.

I don't really covet oil, but I could covet, say, an early E-type to put it in.

castrol2050.jpg

It says its for pre-80's cars, but I'd guess it'd be OK in anything without a catalytic converter.

Interesting marketing. I'm running 43 year old new old stock Quaker State in my 43 year old car. Working well so far the last 4 years.

OP, I've always wanted to try Motul, but it was always too expensive. In the end if I was chasing Esters, then I went Penrite.

Also M1, I've always wanted to try it, but way too expensive in Australia. M1 5W-30 is $90 for 5L and M1 0W-40 is $100+ for 5L. Castrol Edge would be $20 less, with SynPower and Shell Helix probably $30 less. Also Edge and SynPower and Helix Ultra synthetics are regularly on sale for about 25% or more off, which quickly bring them to half the price of Mobil 1. Yet M1 is rarely on sale and then only a few dollars off.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Doesn't happen. I see no point in spending ridiculous amounts of money to buy 'boutique' oils, when there are so many excellent oils available at low prices, like PYB, PUP, Motorcraft, QSUD, etc.. To me, they're all great oils at great prices.

Totally agree. Maybe the boutique oils are better? Maybe not? But at that price how much better? My engine will get just as far down the road with much less expensive oils and stay just as clean. Just my opinion and yours may differ. I've used anything from Supertech conventional and synthetic with good results on previous vehicles. I have also used Pennzoil Premium, Castrol Edge and Mobil 1. I have settled onto Pennzoil Gold for my Versa and Motorcraft blend for my F150. That may change in the future but it won't be to anything but basic good conventional, blend, or synthetic oils. I also still have some PYB and QSGB in my stash. That will get used up at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back