Introduction and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I haven't been on here for awhile. I think I had an account before but I couldn't get it to work so I reregistered. Anyway oil is of interest to me. I've lurked on here and found a lot of info.
So here's the question. I'm working on a 1937 Case model L. The manual calls for sae 10 or 10w using its oil numbers exactly. Unless you are in hot weather then use sae 30. I was wondering if it would be OK to use like a 15w40 diesel oil year around in this old engine. It's probably an old bypass engine. I was looking at using the Delo 15w40 diesel oil as I believe it has a good level of zinc in it as it probably has flat tappets.
Thanks! Chad

Well the 10 or 30 spells out 10w30 to me, but I would use 15w40 also as I always have some on hand for the bikes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd give a good hard look at the chevron delo 15w-30 oil.

This, or any 10W30 HDEO.

Welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What kind of bushing and bearings?

IS modern detergent oil detrimental to certain antique bearing materials?

I believe so, but I usually see it mentioned in regard to old aircraft engines that have a lot of silver in the bearing material. Most antique car and tractor engines just use poured babbitt bearings, which are genrally made of the same metals (lead/tin/zinc) as the babbit layer on more modern bearings, thought the form factor and alloy proportions vary.

If its the case with this Case (heh heh...) that the bearings are high in silver, then maybe an aero engine oil would be appropriate. They are generally "ashless" (minimal metallic additives) to prevent combustion chamber fouling and power loss, but ashless oils also tend to be compatible with more materials.

Good to learn
smile.gif

If I were you I would contact Cenpeco. Ag, antique, and other diesel equipment are their stock and trade. They also have some of the less common weights too. I use there oil in an antique marine diesel, and they were the only ones that had a suitable 20wt for the transmission. They have a pretty poor website. It's really behind the times, but I'm not going to them for their web expertise. Good folks to deal with, and there products have done well by me, and that is based on both seat of the pants and uoa's. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back