HF - New Earthquake XT Impact Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I use the old style daily.its a great tool

No offense but whats so great about it? Its low spec, high CFM and has a lousy warranty with no support.
It cost $69 and lives on my hose crimping table. Every hose I crimp (several a day or more) get ran down with it. I have had it atleast 5 years and i does what I need it to do.

21.gif
That doesn't sound like hard work for an impact but if its doing the job that's good enough.

Originally Posted By: spackard
The Aircat is tough to beat at $103 with free shipping. Check the Warranty!

https://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-1055-TH-Co...atstubby+impact

Don't know about others but I see an 8.48 coupon to clip when I look at the page.
It should be $8.48 off of $102.44.

That's what I'm seeing too. That's not a bad deal for a good tool.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the older 1/2" HF impact gun a few months back when it was $70 with a coupon, but after reading around on Garage Journal as well as other car forums, the AIRCAT had so many good reviews as well as a great price it was hard to get the HF model over that. Still waiting haven't pounced yet, but eventually I will.

I did break down and buy their Earthquake 3/8" impact ratchet. I've used it a handful of times and it's been great.

THe HF impact ratchet seems to be a good buy, a brand name reactionless ratchet with that speed and torque cost double the money.
My advice on buying air tools is to read the specs carefully, a tool with higher torque, higher rpm and lower CFM is the sign of a more efficient air motor. build quality, parts availability,CS and warranty are also things to consider. Price is also a consideration but if the brand name higher spec tool is within a reasonable range then there is no question.

The HF 1/2" earthquake impact is well regarded by a lot of people for the price when it's on sale.

As far as the price of this new one, I'll be interested in seeing the coupon prices and sales prices that can be combined with a 20% off coupon.

Some of the comments here about price seem to not be remembering that HF items constantly have coupons or go on sales that can be combined with the 20% off coupon. When those come into play, this impact might be pretty darn good for the price.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Some of the comments here about price seem to not be remembering that HF items constantly have coupons or go on sales that can be combined with the 20% off coupon. When those come into play, this impact might be pretty darn good for the price.

In my area if they have that impact gun on sale they won't allow you to combine it with the 20% off coupon. My neighbor tried in three different HF stores on Long Island and was told he couldn't use the coupon because it was on sale.

The HF 1/2" earthquake impact is well regarded by a lot of people for the price when it's on sale.

As far as the price of this new one, I'll be interested in seeing the coupon prices and sales prices that can be combined with a 20% off coupon.

Even with $30 off its not a great deal, the tool has mediocre specs, a horrible warranty and no support. Is it worth $30 for a trusted brand name, good parts and service, to me it is. I don't know any working mechanics using HF impacts, it might be well regarded with the DIY crowd but not working mechanics.
Its not like we are talking a difference of hundreds, its in the same price class. If it was $150 and the others were $450 then I can see the argument.

Even with $30 off its not a great deal, the tool has mediocre specs, a horrible warranty and no support. Is it worth $30 for a trusted brand name, good parts and service, to me it is. I don't know any working mechanics using HF impacts, it might be well regarded with the DIY crowd but not working mechanics.
Its not like we are talking a difference of hundreds, its in the same price class. If it was $150 and the others were $450 then I can see the argument.

I do turn a wrench or two and have a IR impact and it has served me well for 15 years, but I'm a pine tree mechanic. As you say Trav, if I were a full time mech I would buy the better name brands.

From my personal experience I'd pay more for an Earthquake than I would an Aircat. They had a 100% failure rate in our shop when the local Snap On guy was carrying them.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
From my personal experience I'd pay more for an Earthquake than I would an Aircat. They had a 100% failure rate in our shop when the local Snap On guy was carrying them.

Trolling.gif

Anyone with google can look up top rated guns. I know quite a few guys using them daily with no problems, the Snap On had a few leaking problems.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

Trolling.gif

Anyone with google can look up top rated guns. I know quite a few guys using them daily with no problems, the Snap On had a few leaking problems.

Someone asks for opinions/reviews so I gave mine. Just because I have seen different results than you have doesn't mean I'm trolling.

100% failure rate? Come on now, if they were that bad they wouldn't get such good reviews all over.
It sounds to me like your the owner of an Earthquake and have buyers remorse now you see good brands impacts for short money. That's my opinion.

100% failure rate? Come on now, if they were that bad they wouldn't get such good reviews all over.
It sounds to me like your the owner of an Earthquake and have buyers remorse now you see good brands impacts for short money. That's my opinion.

100% failure rate, coming from the owner of a tool truck? It sounds like a great way to bump a customer up to a more expensive more profitable tool from the truck. Just saying.....

2 bought and two sent back. One by a lube tech and one by a B line. If the new Mac line actually is rebranded air cat then it would be a third sent back that one was by an A line. His was for a trigger problem and he really liked it once that was fixed.

I don't own an Earthquake and I have no buyers remorse for my old Mac AW4400 that still works. Even though it is way louder and heavier than modern impacts.

Perhaps he is being a cynic, IN THE END EVERYTHING FAILS 100%.

eek.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

eek.gif

I was thinking the same thing. At the moment I have two of their impact guns and both are working well. I hope it stays that way. My HF air ratchet died in one outing. I returned it and replaced it with an IR.

eek.gif

thumbsup2.gif

eek.gif

Usually not in the first month. Maybe it has as much to do with our air supply as it does the impacts themselves. Too much pressure, too much moisture idk but they don't seem to tolerate it as well as other brands have.

Since some people know everything maybe the threads should be locked after they post. That way no one with differing experiences comes along and makes them appear to be anything less than all knowing. That would save said posters from getting all defensive and challenging other members integrity due to differing opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back