I Don't Like To Use High Mileage Oil In The Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't use Pennzoil any longer because of the jugs that don't have an inner seal and also there has been some talk of Pennzoil being not as good as it once was but i saw nothing iron clad about that...I was thinking of sending in two samples of Pennzoil one from oil i had that is almost a year old and one from a new jug.

We changed to Mobil after a lot of research i will keep everyone posted on how the Mobil is working. They made the delivery yesterday but had to change something.. I was not there. Two lifts are pretty new and one is not staying up so we have someone coming for that also ...Another ripppp off.

I know a guy on here with a 2000 Toyota ECHO with 255k miles on it that uses 0w20 without leaking. Runs real well too!

I Don't Like To Use High Mileage Oil In The Winter
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
In my high mileage engines i use 5w30 High mileage oils in the summer but in the winter i like to use the regular 5w30... For Years i used PYB in the winter and PHM in the summer. I always knew the high mileage was blended at the top of the scale being a little thicker and not as good in the winter as say the PYB anyone else think this way?
Just for the record i get very very high mileage out of my engines thinking like this.

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Fixed your thread title for you to reflect reality as I see it.
A 5W qualified oil is a 5W qualified oil. Were it significantly better, it'd be a 0W and were it significantly worse, it'd be a 10W.
I ran Maxlife 5W-30 in the Focus for the first winter we had it, although the recommended grade is a 5W-20. Started great down to the -15F or so that we saw that season.
For the record, I used 10W-40 in everything up until the late nineties with no problems at all.
In short, there are more important things to worry about than whether an oil is labeled as HM or not.

I only use one HM oil and that is 5W-30 Pennzoil HM in my 98 K3500 with the 454 and thats only because it used to leak at the front and rear seal that would leave oil on the floor. Now it just seeps and doesn't drop any. I use this oil all year long and can't tell any difference on how it runs in fall/winter vs spring/summer. I just don't worry about it.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know a guy on here with a 2000 Toyota ECHO with 255k miles on it that uses 0w20 without leaking. Runs real well too!

Of course it's running well. That engine just got through its break-in period.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
In my high mileage engines i use 5w30 High mileage oils in the summer but in the winter i like to use the regular 5w30... For Years i used PYB in the winter and PHM in the summer. I always knew the high mileage was blended at the top of the scale being a little thicker and not as good in the winter as say the PYB anyone else think this way?

Nope ...

I use HDEO in anything over 150,000 year round. I do have some Maxlife, but no where to put it (yet).

The only oil consumers are leakers (manifold to china wall - rear), so it ain't goinna fix that. I do have a few damp ones at the front crank seal, but that's a leaking seal sleeve, and HM ain't goinna fix that either ... I guess I'll just keep it handy for when I get a proper weeper
laugh.gif

Would you recommend running an HDEO in a 1999 Chevy Malibu, 220K miles, with a little more than a minor oil leak? If so what brand and weight?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just curious what everyone else thinks.

For me personally, there is not enough difference to worry about. But we all do what helps us sleep better at night.

I'm going to run Edge HM 10w-40 all year long because I only do 1 oil change per year.

That's a good oil for the summer, but using a 10w rather than an 0w will result in higher fuel consumption, battery, starter and alternator loads in winter. Flow wise minus 15c is about the minimum for a cold start with a 10w before it results in a higher wear rate.

Liqui Moly are top dog in the engine oil and add's game and when I wrote to them asking why they don't make an HM oil, they pointed out it was best to use the oil recommended in their oil finder and some Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver (It's a stop leak and seal conditioner). If the oil drip rate or consumption rate is not serious, just try half a can first.

Last edited:
It matters to me without the inner seal they leak and even if y=they dont leak if the cap is opened just a little like a lot are who knows what will get into it and contaminate the oil..

Very few quality oil companies don't use that important inner seal. Valvoline has a very nice double seal to keep the oil fresh and most of the others have them also.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't know why you'd be worried about switching between the HM Pennz and that not so described on the label.
A 5W qualified oil is a 5W qualified oil. If an oil were significantly better, it would be a 0W and if it were significantly worse, it would be a 10W.
Just for the record, we ran 10W-40 all year long in everything up through the late nineties and it gets colder here than it does in NJ.
You could look it up.

+1

I'm running 10W-40 in DD thru New England winters... not a bid deal. Car has 300k on it. Crazyoildude is just crazy. He doesn't want run HM oil in the winter... okay and?

It matters to me without the inner seal they leak and even if y=they dont leak if the cap is opened just a little like a lot are who knows what will get into it and contaminate the oil..

Very few quality oil companies don't use that important inner seal. Valvoline has a very nice double seal to keep the oil fresh and most of the others have them also.

Apparently you've been using PYB and PHM for quite some time and they've gotten you this far so I'm wondering why you haven't questioned yourself on whether that should be your main focus point for determining to use X item.

Last edited:
Switched to Mobil for a number of reasons not only their jugs but like i said in previous posts all their current specs are on their webpage and they are easy to find.. Other companies don't list their current specs (pds) some of them are 2 or 3 years old and as you might already know by looking at the current 2016 PQIA page things have changed in that time..

IM sticking with Mobil for now. I have a couple of uoa's from my previous oil use and i will have one or 2 from the mobil..

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I would stay with HM oil year round. Swelling and unswelling seals may cause more leaks.

Yeah, or maybe not. I switch around (for no reason really) on both my Sienna and the Accord and I've done that for years with no noticeable difference.

Most HM oils are not really much "thicker" anymore and the majority have the Starburst. MaxLife has a very low pour point IIRC, and is a syn-blend...

I always knew the high mileage was blended at the top of the scale being a little thicker and not as good in the winter as say the PYB anyone else think this way?

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage is "thinner" for grade than any other oils that Pennzoil offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back