Road trip TX to AZ: I-40 vs. I-10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide which route to take from N. Texas (DFW area) to Arizona (Prescott Valley).

I've done the I-40 route to Amarillo/Albuquerque many times. I've never been to El Paso, Tucson or Phoenix, so I'm thinking I may take the I-10 route just for novelty. Google maps shows the I-40 route as being just a little bit quicker, but I'm thinking I-10 it might have less truck traffic, higher speed limits, and less traffic in general. I've heard a number of people complain about Border Patrol/DHS checkpoints on I-10, and some complaints about the road condition.

Not looking to stop and play tourist, just cruise on through....

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Try google maps to see if there is any road destruction projects. I am going to heading to south TX next month and see several areas I will be trying to avoid

I've done both. 40 is prettier, El Paso is a hole, Phoenix is a huge geographical area and you'll be able to find a cool restaurant while moving through.

What's you ultimate destination, and is it one way or round trip? RT = try both.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Try google maps to see if there is any road destruction projects. I am going to heading to south TX next month and see several areas I will be trying to avoid

Yeah, it looks like there is some construction on I-20 around Midland, but Google Maps shows construction on I-40 too.

I'm still leaning towards the Southern route for the sake of novelty. And hopefully less traffic.

if you not going to be stopping then i'd go i40, ( i live in Flagstaff) where you'll hit i17. maybe. unless you take i40 to Ashfork then to Prescott. anyhow.
if you have the time, on driving from flag to Prescott, take 89A through Sedona, then through jerome, on into Prescott.
you will have to climb the hill into FLag, then drop down to either Ashfork or the verde valley, then climb back out.
if you take i10, then i17 you only climb one hill out of Black Canyon City. so that might play a role in your plans.
Me i'd choose i40 over i10 any day.
the way i go to Prescott is i17 to the cherry road 169. then over into Prescott.
Watch out for Elk.

avoid traffic huh.. have you seen the traffic in Phoenix? i10 from tuscon to phx can SUCK!!!
anyway. good luck with your choice...

Last edited:
We driven both routes years ago.
Between the two, I'd take I-10.
Liked the views and the desolation of West Texas and you may as well have something to look at on what is a long drive.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I've done both. 40 is prettier, El Paso is a hole, Phoenix is a huge geographical area and you'll be able to find a cool restaurant while moving through.

What's you ultimate destination, and is it one way or round trip? RT = try both.

It will be round-trip, so I am thinking that I would come back via I-40. The destination is a multi-day shooting event, so I'll be transporting (legally) guns and lots and lots of ammo. Thus the questions about the checkpoints. I don't expect any problems, and one or two is probably fine, but if there are going to be a bunch of checkpoints, I'm thinking another route might be easier and less hassle.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
are you going to the Big Sandy shoot?

Nope. Gunsite.
I bet Big Sandy is fun though ;-)

Originally Posted By: Killer223

avoid traffic huh.. have you seen the traffic in Phoenix? i10 from tuscon to phx can SUCK!!!
anyway. good luck with your choice...

I haven't, that's why I asked! That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for, thank you. And thanks too for the other tips on route there in AZ.

Have driven both routes many times over the past 15 years and both are good. The trip on I40 to Phoenix is interesting but slower due to the mountains and heavy traffic. Suggest you go out in on one and return on another. Have not had any problems with the Border Check points, they just stop you and then wave you on.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Desertdog
Have driven both routes many times over the past 15 years and both are good. The trip on I40 to Phoenix is interesting but slower due to the mountains and heavy traffic. Suggest you go out in on one and return on another. Have not had any problems with the Border Check points, they just stop you and then wave you on.
Good luck.

Thanks. Glad to hear it.
Some people seem to think the desert West is boring, but I think it's beautiful. I'm looking forward to the trip.

I'd do I 40 although they each have their attractions. Not having to drive through Phoenix would be the clincher. There's a nice little detour off I-40 that runs parallel and to the south from Grants, about 40 miles west of Albuquerque to the state line I like a lot.

If you take I-40 past Flag to Ash Fork then south on 89 you drive right past Gunsite (well the road into Gunsite) then on to Prescott. No muss no fuss. Just a bit longer than the I17 to 169 to 69 route. The Flagstaff/Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome/Prescott Valley route is gorgeous but slow. Hope you have a couple free days to see this part of the state.

Go in one way and out another. Traffic in Phoenix shouldn't be much of an issue, our traffic is pretty good.

Prescott Valley is, well, kinda boring. Not too pretty. My dad lives in Prescott, which is 10 miles or so past Prescott. A little better.

The rest of Arizona is beautiful. If you can go to Jerome and have lunch, do it! Such a cool town. Cool drive too. Of course also try to see Sedona.

If you stay over anywhere, do not leave anything in your car.
Crime is especially bad in both Phoenix and El Paso. Break ins in hotel parking lot type stuff.

I just drove cross country on I40 and it moved along just fine through those states. Truck traffic not a prob.
I10 has plenty of truck traffic, too.

heck if your not in a hurry, take the smaller 2 lane roads. i'm sure there are some that split between the two. if you like road trips.. worth the thought.

Crime is not bad in Phoenix. Just don't stay in south or west Phoenix. And since Prescott Valley is 1-1/2 hours away, I can't imagine the OP staying in Phoenix.

Had a great trip. Went by the Northern, I-40 route and came home via the Southern I-10 route. Glad I did both. The Northern route was more scenic and faster, but had more hills/wind. I enjoyed seeing a few of the places along the Southern route for the first time. Both routes had speed limits of 75 or 80 for most of the way.

Traffic was not too bad on either one. The worst traffic was in El Paso on I-10. There was a crash that had me going at
From what I had read online, I was expecting multiple immigration checkpoints along the Southern route. As it turned out, there was only one one that part of eastbound I-10. The DHS officers were very gentle with the cavity search, and I was on my way again in less than an hour! Just kidding. They waved me through after confirming my citizenship. I half expected the dogs to alert on the scent of gunpowder, but they didn't, so the ammo proved not to be an issue.

In terms of local joints along the way, had a good breakfast burrito with carne adovada and green chili at Earl's Family Restaurant in Gallup. Another good breakfast burrito at The Local in Prescott (super nice folks and good food). A third at Baja Cafe in Tucson, but it wasn't quite as good as the other two.

Total miles, including some of local dirt-road driving, was about 2,700. I used cruise control, set at the speed limit of 75 or 80 where I could and averaged 35.5 MPG for the full trip. Not bad at that speed. 2016 Mazda 6.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back