NGK or Denso Spark Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use NGK or Denso spark plugs as replacements? I'm replacing them in my '98 LS400. Mechanic said the Denso plugs I buy here in US are not the same quality Denso as what came in the car.

Your mechanic is an idiot.

Go with which ever is cheaper. I have never had a problem with either. Just use iridium or double platinum.

Check www.rockauto.com for options.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Would you use NGK or Denso spark plugs as replacements? I'm replacing them in my '98 LS400. Mechanic said the Denso plugs I buy here in US are not the same quality Denso as what came in the car.

Yes. I've used both multiple times in my three Japanese cars. I've never detected any difference in performance whatsoever between the two.

Several times I've bought Toyota branded plugs just because I was buying some other stuff from an online dealer. They are identical to the Denso ones you get from Rock Auto or anywhere else. I call nonsense on that claim and say that you should find a better mechanic.

Back in the day the Denso oil filter that came from the factory was a different construction than the aftermarket Denso filter. But they weren't labeled with the same part number.

Both brands are good and of equal quality. Just buy whichever one has a better price.

Your mechanic is wrong regarding the US-market Denso vs from the Toyota dealer and factory. The ones you buy from the dealer are the same you'd buy from Autozone, Napa, or Rock Auto.

Careful where you buy the NGK's. Been a problem with Chinese copies on eBay in the past. Enough of a problem that NGK had a notice on their website on how to recognize genuine NGK's.

Should start a new thread titled: $h!t your mechanic says haha. Father told me someone at work took their jeep to a dealership because of awful noise. Dealership said it needed a new engine. Their diagnosis was that it was because he was using synthetic and it didn't have enough zinc for the flat tappet 4.0. I had a mixture of laughs and pure disbelief people still say these things.

Get whichever sparkplug your car calls for or the equivalent. Glad I only need to get cheap Champion Copper spark plugs for mine.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Careful where you buy the NGK's. Been a problem with Chinese copies on eBay in the past. Enough of a problem that NGK had a notice on their website on how to recognize genuine NGK's.

Thanks, great advice...

It's best to use what ever the company recommends. My previous spare vehicle was a Volvo 850 and they where known to be picky about spark plugs. Not so say any brand cant work but some cars can run with any other not so much. When in doubt is safe to go with the manufacturer recommends (or who ever they source their parts trough).

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Should start a new thread titled: $h!t your mechanic says haha. Father told me someone at work took their jeep to a dealership because of awful noise. Dealership said it needed a new engine. Their diagnosis was that it was because he was using synthetic and it didn't have enough zinc for the flat tappet 4.0. I had a mixture of laughs and pure disbelief people still say these things.

Get whichever sparkplug your car calls for or the equivalent. Glad I only need to get cheap Champion Copper spark plugs for mine.

I use Denso because Denso just feels more Toyota-ish to me. LOL.

Had a guy working at AutoZone tell me I should use Bosch plugs because my car in an import and and I should use and imported plug. I questioned his logic by pointing out that one was imported from Japan while the other from Germany. He said, so what they're both imported.

Thought NGK and Denso same company?
confused.gif

I put 3297s in my car about a month ago. Great plugs, made in japan. I got the ones in the toyota branded box, but its all the same. Use a little bit of antiseize when installing.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Thought NGK and Denso same company?
confused.gif

not correct

Denso is part of Toyota.

NGK is their own company.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Had a guy working at AutoZone tell me I should use Bosch plugs because my car in an import and and I should use and imported plug. I questioned his logic by pointing out that one was imported from Japan while the other from Germany. He said, so what they're both imported.

If that guy were really knowledgeable he'd have a better job than working at the AZ counter!

Either or will work fine. Stick with the long-life iridium or the Iridium TT design, but plugs on a 1UZ-FE aren't terribly hard to do unlike say, a VZ/MZ V6 or a 2JZ-GE.

If you buy plugs on Amazon, do check that they aren't damaged and if they look real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back