USPS rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone sent me a package first class mail from San Francisco to Vista, California where I'm working on a job. Watching the tracking it took one day to go from San Francisco to San Diego and one day from San Diego to Vista. Then it took seven days from the Vista office to our job location a mile and a half away.

The locals here said that was about right and that's why they never use USPS. Was I expecting too much?

Yes. There's no timeline with First Class.

Use Priority if you need it sooner than a week anywhere.

You can't expect too much from an organization that is overloaded with many individuals who were hired with qualifications that many employers wouldn't touch. Too much dead wood and not enough incentive for doing the job. I have to say that in our area, the mail service is satisfactory though nothing outstanding.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
You can't expect too much from an organization that is overloaded with many individuals who were hired with qualifications that many employers wouldn't touch. Too much dead wood and not enough incentive for doing the job. I have to say that in our area, the mail service is satisfactory though nothing outstanding.

NO. One needs to know the delivery windows of the different classes of mail before one sends a package.

It's not the post office's fault here.

I hear a lot of people rag on the USPS. Guess I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with them. Priority mail, packages, regular envelopes with a stamp have always been sent/received properly.

We get all USPS mail of all types quickly and reliably here.
Packages I send from here reach there destination within a couple of days.
I'd say that your experience is no more than a fluke and not the norm.
I also don't think that anyone should comment on the quality of USPS employees unless they have real data to back up their assertions.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I also don't think that anyone should comment on the quality of USPS employees unless they have real data to back up their assertions.

I would expect that like anywhere it's Management's decisions that the employees have to contend with and they have it worse than you'd think, and would empathize with their own inability to deliver in what anyone would consider timely.

Had the same thing happen to me using Fed Ex. 5 stops in Cali before my package made it out of the state.

Last edited:
Priority Express. Sent package at 2:34pm Friday and BlackStone got the sample Saturday.

Last edited:
Every one of us has had a bad experience with a package being delivered late or a bill payment arriving late. But for 47 cents to mail a letter one mile or 3,000 miles, our Postal Service remains the biggest postal bargain in the modern world.

I order stuff from Austin TX. If it is small, I use the mail. No trouble and 3 days is the norm. Every dealing with local post office has been positive. I remember my dad saying that the USPS had control of the revenue generated. Some time in the 20th century, it went into general revenue and has been on the slide ever since. No doubt it is a tightening circle, just like POTS or copper lines in general. Technology changes so fast these days.

USPS has been excellent here.If govt isnt working well,its not from USPS in KS. I have a good relationship with my postal worker and had better luck with them than Fedex

My Wife ships packages all over the US using USPS. They normally make it anywhere in the lower 48 in three days or less. I am thinking that the Vista post office is out to lunch.

I've never had a problem with the US Post Office. The service has always been great, especially given the quasi-government status that they're burdened with.

But then I've never had an issue with UPS or FedEx either.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I hear a lot of people rag on the USPS. Guess I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with them. Priority mail, packages, regular envelopes with a stamp have always been sent/received properly.

I have had only the best experience with USPS, never lost anything and everything arrives in good condition, my mailman is great. He delivers packages at the beginning of his shift 7:30 AM before regular mail deliveries. He picks up packages going out at 2:30 PM on his way back to the Post Office, you cant beat that with a stick.

^ Indeed. My experience is similar, and the convenience of being able to print out prepaid labels at home and leave packages on the porch or in the mailbox can't be beat. If you need something on a particular schedule, First Class isn't the way to go. Spend the extra two dollars for Priority.

First Class Mail: 1-7 days (not guaranteed)
Priority: 1-3 days
Express: 1-2 days

This is also the best way to send UOA samples. BITOGers worry about the clerk thinking it's hazmat, but I don't have to go to the post office at all. Put it in a plain box, attach the prepaid label, and leave it in your mailbox. The 30 minutes I'd waste driving to, waiting at, and returning from the post office (plus fuel) is worth $2 to me.

I've had problems with all carriers, but 99% of the time they ALL deliver as promised... Having said that, I ship stuff often with USPS priority or FedEx without issue.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You should Always use UPS.
But here UPS often uses the Post Office. UPS delivers to the local Post Office and a Post Office takes it the rest of the way. It gives some revenue to the PO and saves UPS the cost of sending a UPS truck off on some rural route to deliver just one package. Tracking shows the PO usually gets the package from UPS out the same day it's delivered to the PO. Our PO now has a truck devoted to package delivery which is independent of the mail delivery route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back