Army's new sidearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
Anyway, back on track, Astro14 I was interested to hear you were issued with old 5 shot 38 specials, I thought stuff like that only happened in the Aussie army. Our 9mm BHP are '60's vintage and definitely did a few tours of Vietnam. A good collectors piece, but definitely time for something new. BTW I too am getting out this year.

Still issuing and using a BHP? Wow, that's cool. Perhaps they will replace them with Glock 17 pistols like the British army did.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
SEAL's use a H&K .45 ACP

Their general issue sidearm is a Glock 19 now, believe it or not.

Suppressed HK45 is available in the armory if they need that capability on a certain mission.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: billt460
Astro, were all fighter pilots in the Navy issued the Beretta 9 MM?

The M11 (a Sig P228) last I heard.

Yep. That's the one. Nice pistol. Considering buying one... I don't actually own a Sig...not yet...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: billt460
Astro, were all fighter pilots in the Navy issued the Beretta 9 MM?

The M11 (a Sig P228) last I heard.

Yep. That's the one. Nice pistol. Considering buying one... I don't actually own a Sig...not yet...

Like all Sigs, I suggest you shoot one quite a bit before buying one. Some find they don't work particularly well. They function, but the placement of the controls, with the right size hands and grip, can cause issues with the slide lock due to its position. Also I find Sigs, especially the fullsize ones tend to have more muzzle flip because of the high bore axis.

I am also one that is not sold on the US made sig quality. Some guns run like tops, and others don't sadly. The consistency seems to be lacking in them. If you are a YouTube watcher, check out the Military Arms Channel. A few of these sentiments are echoed on several videos Tim has done. The new Sig'esque Arex Zero was put up against the 226 in a dirt and sand test and just destroyed the sig which cost twice as much.

Interesting. Thanks, Robenstein...

I mentioned an anecdote above, involving the M-11. For sentimental reasons, I was thinking of getting one...well, that and the "LEO" discount at my LGS, which happens to be a Sig LEO dealer....

I also was taken with the P227. Have spent some time with the aforementioned M-11 and my brother's P220. Both very nice guns. Hadn't heard anything negative about Sig, except the price...until now...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Interesting. Thanks, Robenstein...

I mentioned an anecdote above, involving the M-11. For sentimental reasons, I was thinking of getting one...well, that and the "LEO" discount at my LGS, which happens to be a Sig LEO dealer....

I also was taken with the P227. Have spent some time with the aforementioned M-11 and my brother's P220. Both very nice guns. Hadn't heard anything negative about Sig, except the price...until now...

They are indeed pricey, if you want to see a good example of the inconsistent quality I would look at reviews for the old Sig 556R rifles. The pistols are less prone to it, but you still see it pop up more often than I would like. I have been interested in picking up a Sig 225, but may just look around for one of the old W. German surplus versions instead in good shape.

Their general issue sidearm is a Glock 19 now, believe it or not.

Of course Military Brass need to be sure that Corporal GI Joe has the best sidearm that only their detailed study/analysis can dictate.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
When I meet with the Generals I will recommend the FN 5.7×28mm.
lol.gif

Be sure to tell them hello for me, and then recommend 10 round magazines to keep everyone safe.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back