3.5L ecoboost SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for sometime but finally have a car that IMHO warrants more than just grabbing the 5gallon jug of M1 EP at wal-mart.

I picked up a used 2015 Taurus SHO (3.5l ecoboost) with just under 22k on the odometer and within a few hundred miles I put 6qts of fresh 5-30 PP and plan on sticking with the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

So after reading about NOACK , TEOST , HTHS etc. I'm looking for feedback on what oil to use for this engine.

I read a few threads about this motor in F150s but I will probably be driving this car differently than a truck.
60mi commute with 10-12mi stop&go the rest 60-90mph on freeway;toll road. Has also become primary family hauler for stop&go suburban driving too.

I've definitley been having a case of lead-foot with this car.
smile.gif
Usually doing some "cool down" idling for a few minutes after I've been on the gas hard. (are turbo timers still a thing ?)

I know oil dilution seems to be an issue for these ecoboost engines as well as carbon build-up on the intake valves of DI engines.
Also the extra thermal "stress" of a turbo charged engine has me set on a "synthetic" oil . (group 3 , IV , V debates aside)

In my youth (80's) 3k oil changes were a given for turbo engines. I know water jackets have helped with the bearings in modern turbos and there are plenty of high grade synthetic oils available today though that extend OCIs.

I used Redline , Motul , Royal Purple (based here in Houston) , Amsoil back in the day as well when I did some auto-crossing so I'm familiar with most of the "exotic" brands.

I'm leaning towards 5k OCIs with PP or M1. I'd try PU if I could find it and would likely use M1 EP if the consensus supported that idea .

M1 EP is the oil I have used the most over the last decade in my cars with 7-10k OCIs. (Prius, RX350, 4.6l Sequoia, 2.5l Altima)

I've never sent oil to Blackstone for a UOA but plan on it with the SHO.

THANKS for any/all feedback !!!

Last edited:
As a former EcoBoost owner, if you want 5K OCI, use MC synblend oil from WM. More than enough protection for your plan.
Turbo timers are old school as most modern turbos, including the EcoBoost, cool the bearings with coolant, not oil. (Hence the 80's 3k OCI)
But, nothing wrong with a pause in shutting it down after a hard run.

Last edited:
Interested in this conversation. Just purchased an Explorer Sport with the 3.5L EB for the wife. It will see mostly 10-30min commutes. At this time my plan is "flavor of the month" synthetic for 5k miles.

Got a 2015 (signature) - M1 since new to 21k - but have a jug of PUP on standby - plan to alternate those two synthetic GL5's
Had to retire the FL500s for M212 or XG10575 ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got a 2015 (signature) - M1 since new to 21k - but have a jug of PUP on standby - plan to alternate those two synthetic GL5's

So why did you decide to change from the FL500s ?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP is more than adequate for that application, I'd use it with confidence.

and OCIs ?

Thats a good point. I'll be doing the Napa Gold (Wix) since the planned OCI will only be 5k and I get them at killer prices
smile.gif
I do have a few of the Frams for the truck's 5.0 since it reaches out to 10k with the IOLM.

Roger that - it's the only vehicle I still do 5k OCI on - but that's just twice a year ...

Originally Posted By: cnatra
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP is more than adequate for that application, I'd use it with confidence.

and OCIs ?

Just go by the OLM.

FL500s ? Just the results on this site with Purolator and MC - I would think it's a temporary QAQC problem - but for the Seller to see aftermarket sales drop is the only message a consumer can send on OEM expendables ...

FL500s ? Just the results on this site with Purolator and MC - I would think it's a temporary QAQC problem - but for the Seller to see aftermarket sales drop is the only message a consumer can send on OEM expendables ...

ahh OK , Thx

The OLM on my Ford Transit Ecoboost 3.5 goes beyond 10k. I'm at 10k now and still no light. I'm running M1 EP 5w30 with a Fram Ultraguard filter. I've decided 10k is far enough. I'll bet it would do fine to go with the OLM, though. Most trips my wife drives are not short. The engine easily gets fully up to temp and stays there for awhile, although it isn't all highway, either. Most trips are a mix of city and 4 lane state road (60mph). Her drives with the kids to and from school are 45 minutes to an hour and 15. I plan on having this van for a long time, so I run the EP just for confidence. I've never done a UOA. I may get curious enough to blow the dough on one, but the van seems to run just fine and consumes no oil at all.

what about some Rotella T6 5w-40 ??

Better HTHS for a turbo engine ?

Would the "thicker" oil help with fuel dilution ?

Or maybe mix 1qt of T6 with a 5w-30 PP or M1 EP ?

Last edited:
Great oil but some have indicated Shell does not consider it Cat Con friendly ...

What is HTHS of T6? Is it better then Castrol 0W40 which is 3.7cp? NOACK of T6 is 12.6% and Castrol 0W40 is 9.1%. Higher NOACK more CBU problems in DI engines.
I seriously do not know why someone would even look at T6 on shelf if Castrol and M1 0W40 are available.

Castrol 0W40 has HTHS of 3.5 according to PDS at Castrol website.

PDS link

Originally Posted By: edyvw

What is HTHS of T6? Is it better then Castrol 0W40 which is 3.7cp? NOACK of T6 is 12.6% and Castrol 0W40 is 9.1%. Higher NOACK more CBU problems in DI engines.
I seriously do not know why someone would even look at T6 on shelf if Castrol and M1 0W40 are available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back