Oil Recommendation for 2002 Ford Ranger XLT V6 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that 3.0 engine 5w30 dino of your choice would be great Mobil super 5000 is a good oil priced rite.

On another note in the 4.6 i would stay with the 20 wt.

I thought these engines were known to consume oil. My Ranger with the 3.0 has 180,000 kms right now and has been consuming oil since the last 30,000 km or so. Roughly 500 mL every 2000 kms. Has always been well maintained with good quality 5W20 synthetics (eg. Pennzoil Platinum) and Napa Gold (Wix) filters. I did briefly try a 5W30, but that did not seem to change the consumption.

I had a 4 liter in the same year, and I remember reading that the oil pressure light was quirky on those rangers....probably the same light. I would double check that first....may not be an oil issue at all.

One more thing, with the low miles you put on it in a year and where you live I would put in something like Mobil Super 10W-30 Conventional Motor Oil and at under $14 for 5 qt's its cheap to boot. Oil and filter once a year, doesn't get any easier than that.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I would put in something like Mobil Super 10W-30 Conventional Motor Oil

You're the only guy that recommended 10W-30. You got some nerve in you don't'cha?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: rrounds
I would put in something like Mobil Super 10W-30 Conventional Motor Oil

You're the only guy that recommended 10W-30. You got some nerve in you don't'cha?
grin2.gif

The first thing I'd do is use a mechanical oil gauge to see what the pressure really is when hot. He doesn't say if he tows heavy loads like I do and with the oil light coming on with x/20 wt. oil I'd move up to a 10/30. Or if he tows or loads up the bed with 750# or more to move up to a 5/40 or if he's cheap a 15/40. That 3L is one tough engine and very hard to kill that can take a lot of abuse(probably because of the lack of HP) but it can't live without oil pressure.

ROD

Well I can enlighten you on the use of the truck. It is my wife's truck and it never tows anything and never is heavily loaded. It mostly pulls it's own weight and that's about it. It is a daily driver in a small town for very short drive intervals so the wear that is put on it is not ideal. I would think that most of the wear on the engine would be from being started.

After seeing the video above I am almost certain I need to replace the pcv valve, though I don't think we would ever let it run out of oil.

I am almost positive the sender unit is not bad and that it suffers low oil pressure, only at idle mind you, once the engine is warmed up. That being said I may look at replacing it but an even more pressing replacement would be the pcv valve.

I looked up the correct oil on amsoil.com and thought this was interesting.

Quote:
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-20, 5W-30 This specification has been updated from 5W-30 to include 5W-20 per a Technical Service Bulletin from the manufacturer. 5W-20 is the preferred recommendation.
CAPACITIES: With filter 4.5 quarts When refilling, remove dipstick to provide adequate venting and allow oil to flow into crankcase. After refill, check oil level. Top off to proper level as needed.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...10 ft/lbs
NOTES: (1) Motor oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.

I just wanted to update. I did end up putting 5w30 valvoline maxlife in it on the last oil change and the oil pressure gauge has not moved since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back