Sherwood 2 channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My shop stereo went out. It was a 2 channel JVC I got off Craigslist. It did fine. afaik, JVC and Kenwood dont make home audio receivers anymore. So those two are out.

I have a Yamaha I like and was thinking of putting it from my living room into the shop. It is the cheap one but sounded alot better when I swapped the regular RCA cables with heavier/nicer ones. I am pretty content with it now, that, in addition to the fact I am getting a top of the line car audio system pretty much satisfies my volume needs, so I can probably do without having the nice Yamaha in my living room and the cheaper one in my shop and just get the locally available two channel Sherwood that is $150. The nice Yamaha I was looking at is $500.

Sorry for the long wind, but can the Sherwood pick up radio stations and play the JvC cd player (you think?) okay in my shop and provide decent volume outside.

I have been eyeing this Yamaha RS700 for a while, but once I put that better patch cable on the RS201 and found out I was getting a good subwoofer for my truck, I really dont feel the need of the RS700 anymore. Any thoughts?

Nice old analogue Oink,Yo! or Hitachi or Kyocera.
In the early 90s Id pick a used

O There wise best budget separates where likely James Bongiorno designs like SUMO The 9 and Electra preamp.

The Sherwood will pick up the radio stations and interface with the JVC just fine. How loud it plays depends more on your speakers' sensitivity than on the receiver, in most cases. If your old receiver was loud enough the Sherwood should be too. That said, that is really kind of the bottom of the barrel in two channel audio, even mass market. It bears no resemblance to Sherwood in their heyday, now its just a licensed name. You can do better by going used, just depends how much work you want to put into it. If you want cheap, easy and quick, it should suffice.

Thanks for the heads up. Im eager to try it since the home office is in my state. Ive never really heard of them is why I ask. I dont like Pioneer or Sony. JVC and Kenwood are gone. Onkyo had a Honda like reputation when I worked in the retail home audio around the year 2000. I am not a hi fi nut that spends grands on Macintosh and really never knew they existed, I forget the term audiophile....!

Just looking for decent sound at an elevated volume thats all. I have two three way Pioneer 12"s that it will push.

You can get a new Yamaha R-S202 (2x100Watts) receiver for about $150 online with free shipping. I'd probably consider that over a Sherwood.

Onkyo TX-8020 is around the same price as well.

I have the Sherwood RX4105 2 channel receiver in my garage pushing 2 JBL S26 speakers and a Kenwood 12 sub, as well as my 2 Dayton 6" outdoor speakers in my patio, paid $95 bones for it at my local Best Buy, great little receiver, picks up all the local FM stations, also have a Sony DVD player hooked up to play my CD's, plays PLENTY loud.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back