Ford 9N

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 9N leaks badly out one of the lift arms. Right now, I cannot gather enough muscle to remove/ reinstall the calcium filled tire and trumpet.What is a good alternative to the 134 spec'd hydraulic oil? I use a suitable fluid(134) from tractor supply but I leak a couple gallons in a few months and it get expensive.

Last edited:
oKwwsC1.png

134 spec (Universal Tractor Fluid) is around 10w-30 viscosity. This is considerably thicker (SAE 90), especially at the temps you'll be operating at, but still entirely appropriate for the 'ol 9N.

I suppose you could find a guy with a small tractor with an HST trans who does 400hr trans oil changes and use their used oil. I've never had my old trans oil tested but it comes out pretty clean, and it goes through a large hydraulic filter, a special filter for the HST, along with a magnet on the drain plug, so I imagine its clean enough to run a few hours in another tractor before ending up on the ground.

+1

Get a hold of the local mobile tractor repair guy and ask him to save you 5 gallons (or 10, or whatever) of the tranny fluid he takes out on the next service. They have to get rid of it anyway. So dropping it off at your place is no big deal
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
oKwwsC1.png

134 spec (Universal Tractor Fluid) is around 10w-30 viscosity. This is considerably thicker (SAE 90), especially at the temps you'll be operating at, but still entirely appropriate for the 'ol 9N.

This Traveller SAE 90 has a Flash Point of 455*F and Pour Point of 0*F .
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product...ion-fluid-2-gal
I'd speculate it meets SAE 85W90 requirements , thus fully compatible with Ohio ambients.

Last edited:
After blowing out the PTO seal and rebuilding the PTO assembly and tightening up the leaky lift arm, I found some CAM2 hydraulic/transmission oil meeting the Ford spec for $9 for a two gallon jug at Rural King. Two jugs filled it back up and ready to mow next spring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back