Last ditch effort on Honda CR-V K24 engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you may know I Have an 03 CR-V with the ever troubled K24 engine that seems to eat oil like a fat guy likes cake!

I'm told it was common on these engines In the Accords and CR-V's) and was due to the bottom rings sticking. This thing eats a quart every 300-400 miles but the crazy thing is it does not smoke!
I guess the catalytic converter on these hondas is very efficient!

Anyway, last night I made a concoction of 75% Seafoam and 25% PB Blaster and proceeded to pour a few ounces down each plug hole, I also poured 6oz of pure seafoam in the oil. I figured I'd hit the rings from both top and bottom and try to free them up! If they are stuck, this should do it! My previous experience with PB Blaster and carbon/coked oil is excellent!

Anyone else ever had success with slowing or stopping the oil consumption in the K24 engine besides a tear down and ring replacement?

KREEN in the oil. * oz per change at least. Break-Free gun solvent in each plug hole. Big shot. Let sit over night. Plugs back in in the morning and fire it up and drive around teh block. Chnage oil and filter. Pennz Ultra and new filter with that shot of KREEN and cruise on:)

If they can be unstuck, they will be in a few oil changes.

You have put in a new PCV valve - right?

Seriously try BG EPR - - - Worked wonders in my oil drinking Audi.
It sounds really bad - you might want to try two treatments - - skipping a week between treatments.

I grabbed a can on amazon.com

Here's an inexpensive DIY aggressive solvent: equal parts lacquer thinner (acetone), mineral spirits (paint thinner) and denatured alcohol.
All available at the hardware store. Can even strip paint.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
KREEN in the oil. * oz per change at least. Break-Free gun solvent in each plug hole. Big shot. Let sit over night. Plugs back in in the morning and fire it up and drive around teh block. Chnage oil and filter. Pennz Ultra and new filter with that shot of KREEN and cruise on:)

Use either PYB 10W30 or regular red bottle Maxlife 5W30 with the recommended amount of Kreen ... I would run it 1K miles but keep checking the oil to make sure it does not drop below the add make on your dipstick...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
A thinner W oil? kk
Tried both thin (5W20) and thick (10W40) in this thing, thicker oil definitely goes faster!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Yes, brand new PCV valve, no change

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
If you're using that much oil, I would do a compression check. Sounds like a broken ring to me.

Compression check done, all cylinders look great and well within 3% of each other.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
There's more going on than a sticky ring with the much consumption.

I'm open for ideas! The thing runs great! I drive it 100+ miles daily and it doesn't miss a beat. I just can't figure out where the oil is going. I literally cannot see any smoke with driving it and I've sat cardboard under it many times trying to spot a leak.

Have you had the VTC actuator issue? There was a post on here from an Accord owner who had the problem and eventually it lead to extreme oil consumption and he included an explanation of how this developed. Of course many people have also had the VTC actuator issue and not had oil consumption, but the poster claimed it was the cause and that he felt it would lead to problems with other engines than had the VTC noise. I've never heard of that engine being an oil-burner. any signs of a head gasket issue?

Oil consumption has to get past 1qt/100miles for it to show smoke. Otherwise it's just too small of an amount, and there's the cat which helps complete combustion anyhow.

Methinks you have a bad motor with stuck rings. About the first time I've heard of this vintage Honda with that problem, but not everyone complains online. Did you buy this new, or was it bought (very well) used?

I've heard differing opinions on piston soaks. Toyota 1ZFF-FE's don't respond, Saturn 1.9's may or may not respond. This may or may not respond. I am guessing it depends upon what kind of varnish is in the ring; the harder it is, the less likely it is to come out. [Since K24's aren't known for this then I'm guessing the oil drain holes aren't plugged up.] Of course if it's broken ring(s) then nothing will fix.

What do the plugs look like?

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Have you had the VTC actuator issue? There was a post on here from an Accord owner who had the problem and eventually it lead to extreme oil consumption and he included an explanation of how this developed. Of course many people have also had the VTC actuator issue and not had oil consumption, but the poster claimed it was the cause and that he felt it would lead to problems with other engines than had the VTC noise. I've never heard of that engine being an oil-burner. any signs of a head gasket issue?

I assume you are referring to the VTEC system? It's simply a solenoid that sets on the back of the head and on command from the ECU/Throttle input it just opens, allowing pressurized oil to flow through the head and lock the actuators for the variable cam timing. There is no way this system could cause oil consumption as its a closed loop system...

I'd be interested in his findings though if you could point me in the direction.

And, no symptoms of a head gasket issue at all, no pressure or combustion gas in the coolant and no external oil leakage anywhere.

Originally Posted By: supton
Oil consumption has to get past 1qt/100miles for it to show smoke. Otherwise it's just too small of an amount, and there's the cat which helps complete combustion anyhow.

Methinks you have a bad motor with stuck rings. About the first time I've heard of this vintage Honda with that problem, but not everyone complains online. Did you buy this new, or was it bought (very well) used?

I've heard differing opinions on piston soaks. Toyota 1ZFF-FE's don't respond, Saturn 1.9's may or may not respond. This may or may not respond. I am guessing it depends upon what kind of varnish is in the ring; the harder it is, the less likely it is to come out. [Since K24's aren't known for this then I'm guessing the oil drain holes aren't plugged up.] Of course if it's broken ring(s) then nothing will fix.

What do the plugs look like?

My research shows many hondas of this vintage with the K24 to have oil consumption issues. Mainly the Accords from what I find...

I bought this one with 130K on the clock and in perfect condition, I was told by the owner that it was beginning to use oil and thats why she let it go so cheap. I am a Certified mechanic so it didn't scare me at all. I have a lot of experience with Honda's so I figured worse case, I'd pick up a low mileage motor and just do an R&R.

The plugs are white and certainly show the characteristic oil burning color. Not very thick or causing issues in the 10k miles they've been in there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back