How much money does YouTube pay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the people are making a living off of it. The more subscribers you have, the more money YouTube pays you. That Lisa Haven lady makes a full time job out of it. She has 156,322 subscribers and she seems to be living quite comfortably. South Main Auto Repair has 48,620 subscribers and his channel is extremely popular. I know they're getting paid pretty well, but I just don't know how much. The reason I bring this up is because I have a friend who lives in Missouri that has his own automotive machinist business. He's always complaining about how slow it is during the winter. I told him if he started a YouTube channel, his business would pick up exponentially -- plus he'd get money from YouTube. I have a strong suspicion that an automotive machinist channel would be a huge success.

It's not as much as you would think. I spoke with Chris fix about this and he was a million plus subscribers at the time he said it's not enough to live on by itself but it obviously helps.

Also if your video gets flagged for any reason violating YouTubes terms, it will not make any money, there's a huge issue with this going on now. The list of things that get you flagged is somewhat vague too.

It really depends on the size of the channel and the content they create. Typically items with a higher profit margin pay more for ads then stuff that has little.

Not many like speaking about their ad revenue. There is not any rules as far as I know saying you can't share your income info but typically most just say it's against the rules then explaining it to everyone over and over.

Google gets a cut, then your partner ship gets theirs. What's left from the Adsense revenue goes to the content creator.

There is this site called Socialblade. They predict ad revenue based on content type and the Youtuber partner to determine what types of ads the company typically work with and their going rates.

It's not perfect but I've seen a few separate Youtuber use the site and most day they receive about 35%-40% of what the site predicts.

Last edited:
Hey Merk, why you ask? Are you thinking of your own channel?? I enjoy Eric the Car Guy to some degree but dont care much for that Scotty fellow that yells too much.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's not as much as you would think. I spoke with Chris fix about this and he was a million plus subscribers at the time he said it's not enough to live on by itself but it obviously helps.

Also if your video gets flagged for any reason violating YouTubes terms, it will not make any money, there's a huge issue with this going on now. The list of things that get you flagged is somewhat vague too.

That doesn't sound right. Eric The car guy made enough when he was around 100K to go full time and support a family...

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
My wife has a YouTube channel that is doing well. She makes about $1 per 1000 views.

What exactly does she do?

I'm getting about $20 from one youtube video of me (mis) using a harbor freight tire changer.

The controversy gets more views than if it were a straight-up proper instructional video.

Google adsense contacted me after the vid hit 25k and asked if I wanted to join.

Having done that, I'll video other stuff I do but nothing has been the same smash hit. But even if I get a few hundred hits I get pennies, and it's a hobby.

Pro tip, learn how to edit. If I want to fix a moen shower faucet and I see a few thumbnails I'll watch a 3 min verion before a 10 min one, and I'll judge the vid quality by the thumbnail, so light it well.

My daughter knows another high school kid in a nearby state who posts YouTube videos with secrets to success in video games...she said he is driving a nice Mustang he bought for himself. A nice looking girlfriend also appeared not long after the Mustang...
Obviously the kid doesn't need to support himself and all his income is discretionary, but he's making some nice coin.

The other thing is you could also end up with sponsorship agreements. I watch this one trucker on YouTube and it looks like Pilot/Flying J asked for his endorsement so he's probably making a little off of that. He only has some 35k subscribers.

I know a few small channels that get free gear to review. Dash cams, small tools, random trinkets.

The thing to keep in mind is that you have to be good at a lot of things. Creativity, editing, policing those who steal your content, promoting yourself, staying away from drama, etc.

I wonder how it breaks down per hour if you look at how much time a successful YouTube star works in a given week. I wouldn't assume that those people are making $100k a year working only 10 hours a week.

Difference between ChrisFix and ETCG is that Chris does NOT need youtube to pay his mortgage. Chris is doing it as his hobby and he is great. But Eric needs youtube otherwise his family would be sleeping hungry. The point is Eric had no other avenue of supporting himself other than youtube and so he is doing it as full time job and has made it now. He even employs a cameraman.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Difference between ChrisFix and ETCG is that Chris does NOT need youtube to pay his mortgage. Chris is doing it as his hobby and he is great. But Eric needs youtube otherwise his family would be sleeping hungry. The point is Eric had no other avenue of supporting himself other than youtube and so he is doing it as full time job and has made it now. He even employs a cameraman.

ETCG is also spiraling into trouble if he continues blasting money into that fairmont, his latest justification for redoing the entire front end because the front tires were off by 7/8th of an inch to me was appalling. I look forward to him returning to his roots.

Tire off by 7/8th of inch seems to be huge. But I do not care for his Fairmont project. I do not watch it. On the other hand, I am interested in his Acura fixes. Different strokes for different folks :)

But my point is he was able to do that when he hit 100K subscribers. How come Chris Fix can't at 1 million? That has nothing to do with who needs what.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

ETCG is also spiraling into trouble if he continues blasting money into that fairmont, his latest justification for redoing the entire front end because the front tires were off by 7/8th of an inch to me was appalling. I look forward to him returning to his roots.

Yeah his I bought a new car and dropped another 20K into the fairmont videos are all he does now. I want to see timing chains, motor swaps, pattern failures.

You know, real repairs.

My new go to channel is South Main Auto. He runs an active shop and so you see real every day pattern failures. Plus he knows how to use a scope and does real diagnostics and doesn't just fire the parts cannon at a problem like eric does.

ChrisFix is pulling in about $10k a month before taxes at this point. That's a nice supplemental income to a "real" job, if he so chooses.
smile.gif

ETCG is only making about $3k/month on YouTube. I'm sure he's making more from endorsements and sponsors on the side, though.

Eric, from South Main, is pushing $1k/month. He's steadily building his numbers.

These are all estimates, based on view rates and averages. Only the guys cashing the checks truly know what they're making. YouTube profit varies and is based on viewer engagement with ads placed on the videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back