Castrol 10w60 RS7 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put some Castrol 10w60 in my RS7 before a track day this last weekend. I ran 5 sessions, track temps were 109. Drained oil today, oil was very, very dark, and was much thinner than when I put it in 4 days ago. Should I send it off for analysis, or does this sound normal after hard driving? My car club buddy has a 911 GT3 running the same oil, ran all 5 sessions with me, and his oil looked brand new.....

Last edited:
Yep, we all love a quick UOA. If you don't have a set of universal averages use Blackstone Lab and it's good to get a TBN and see if there is a VOA in Google for this oil.

There are 2 versions of Castrol Edge 10w60, one is a real good high mileage oil for the go thick types and the other is for big booted boy racers who track their cars.

Castrol Edge 10w60....the one approved for BMW M cars with the grenade motors:)

Castrol edge Titanium FST maybe?

There was many reformulation, 2-3 years ago the Castrol TWS was known as a "thick" 50 (or a light 60), and supposedly shear to a 50 grade very quick.

If you want an oil that stay in grade longer, maybe try something like redline, or Motul 300V 15W50?

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
Put some Castrol 10w60 in my RS7 before a track day this last weekend. I ran 5 sessions, track temps were 109. Drained oil today, oil was very, very dark, and was much thinner than when I put it in 4 days ago. Should I send it off for analysis, or does this sound normal after hard driving? My car club buddy has a 911 GT3 running the same oil, ran all 5 sessions with me, and his oil looked brand new.....

A UOA wouldn't hurt.

By the way, remember that your buddy's GT3 is naturally aspirated and produces less hp/L than your RS7. Wouldn't be surprised if it were a lot easier on its oil.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

By the way, remember that your buddy's GT3 is naturally aspirated and produces less hp/L than your RS7. Wouldn't be surprised if it were a lot easier on its oil.

Interesting thought...I have noticed that my relatively low performance turbo darkens oil very quickly (even when I don't put MoS2 in it ;^).
I'm also wondering if maybe the RS7's cooling system just wasn't up to tracking the car in such high temps?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Interesting thought...I have noticed that my relatively low performance turbo darkens oil very quickly (even when I don't put MoS2 in it ;^).

Relatively low boost and/or volume, maybe. Not low performance, though. Still over 140 hp/L. That's not huge, but it's not small either. Somewhere between a base Veyron (125 hp/L) and a Veyron Super Sport (150 hp/L).
wink.gif

Your car's turbos are pretty small IIRC, so they must be spinning like demons at high RPM.

I'm also wondering if maybe the RS7's cooling system just wasn't up to tracking the car in such high temps?

Well, it's not exactly a track car, is it?
wink.gif

First time I saw under the hood of an RS7, I remember thinking "there's no way this thing gets enough cooling." 570 hp from a twin-turbo engine pushing >140 hp/L, shoehorned into that cramped engine bay... Evidently it works just fine, but I can't imagine it works as comfortably as a real track-oriented car would. Big super sedans rarely do, let alone the ones with so much engine crammed into such little space.

Oil becoming dark is an indication of nothing, and TWS is known to shear down a grade or two. I'd imagine you have some fuel solutions as well.

Nothing to worry about IMHO, I'm sure the oil did its job just fine.

If you drained it hot/warm, it will be thinner than when you poured it in on initial fill.

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL

Thanks guys I'm going to send it off, that's cheap. I drained semi-warm...not hot. Yeah its heavy, but with all wheel drive it's really fast around a track...I had the third highest top speed on the back stretch at 136mph.....don't know if the brake system is up to the task though...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

That's a stretch. Some engines just darken oil quickly. Some oil just darkens quickly.Color means virtually nothing.

That oil protected just fine and would be a waste of a UOA in my opinion. If somebody wants to pay for a UOA and read "Still has loads of TBN and could go longer" then be my guest.

Depending on the specific GT3 model, it may be a difference in fuel injection. Direct injection tends to create more soot than port injection, which can darken an oil quickly (rather like a diesel). It is this phenomenon that could mean the introduction of gasoline particulate filters for future emissions controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back