Continential ProContact TX OEM Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those look like really good tires! Better than the Continental's that came OEM w/my Golf. (Poor wet traction.) Your tire's thread pattern looks better for wet/snowy conditions. But if I lived in WI., I'd get a set of dedicated snow tires.

I love my Continental ProContacts. Mine are just the basic ones in 95T.

Yours seem "super duper".

Seriously, we all know there are tires and tires and tires but if you pinned me down to ONE WORD it might just be Continental.

I've had good luck and long life with every Conti I've ever run.

Good luck with yours.

It looks very similar to the Energy MXV4 S8 that Michelin used to sell. Tons of siping, which is generally good for the physical aspect of wet/snowy conditions. Tread compound, of course, also plays a role, and it's not uncommon for OEM tires to "let go" after some age or miles.

Having said that, I generally am pleased with Honda OEM tires. We all know that an OEM tire is really more about the performance attributes in the contract than it is the tire brand. I've used (and still use to this day) OEM-spec tires on our Hondas from Michelin, and I've generally liked the Continental OEM tires on Civics and CR-Vs I've driven in the past. I guess I like the performance specs Honda puts in their tire contracts compared with some other OEMs with which I've had experience.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Those look like really good tires! Better than the Continental's that came OEM w/my Golf. (Poor wet traction.) Your tire's thread pattern looks better for wet/snowy conditions. But if I lived in WI., I'd get a set of dedicated snow tires.
You cannot turn an ineffective compound into a stellar performer with a "better looking" tread pattern.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You cannot turn an ineffective compound into a stellar performer with a "better looking" tread pattern.

I don't think he said it would (in fact, he still recommended winter tires). But tread pattern helps. Both compound and pattern play a role in performance. You can't make a slick into a good winter tire with rubber compounding alone, just as you can't make a summer tire into a winter tire only by adding sipes.

I have TX tires on my Cruze. I bought them as takeoffs from a VW, so who knows what kinds of differences there may be between mine an the OP's Honda-spec models.

Having said that, I've been pretty darn impressed with them, overall. I can't remember the mileage I have on them, exactly, but it's at least 15k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back