Switching to synthetic at 83k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Tacoma 4.0L is approaching 83k miles. For most of its life, I've used Toyota 5W-30 from my local dealer. They quit carrying it a couple years ago so I switched to Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30. My truck only sees 5000 miles or so a year, bit it's almost always towing miles (3000 - 3600 lbs normally, well within the 6500 lb limit). I've been thinking about switching over to Pennzoil Synthetic. Is this a wise move with 83k miles already on the truck?

If you only do 5k a year I would stick with a good HM oil and just change once a year. Valvoline maxlife and Castrols HM oil are semi-syn if that makes you feel better.

I don't see any problem at all. Pennzoil HM is a good oil, although PP or PU would be fine too. Just keep an eye on the level.

I have switched my last two Regals to full syn at time of purchase. Both cars had almost the same mileage of 175,000. You certainly will be good to go with full synthetic, and if you want to switch back then that is ok also.

Worst thing it could do would leak out a little...

I'm willing to bet it's a well cared for truck, so I would say go ahead...

Agreed. You're already part way there with the syn blend. At 83k your Toyota is still a baby, switch away. Great truck btw....youtube "how to kill a Toyota" Its a top gear episode....I'll spoil it...they couldn't!

Buy a High Mileage oil that shows a recent 2016 PDS on its website

I have used Pennzoil in the past for years and had good luck with it although i switched to Mobil which lists their PDS on their website and they also have a double seal on their jugs which is a plus. You can also go Mobil 1 high mileage and get the best of both worlds.

A recent PDS is very important because oil can change at any time.

You'll be fine running Synthetic, I have a 98 Dakota with 82,000 miles and drive 5k per year also, many oil changes of PZ HM & QS Defy with no complaints but just wanted to try full synthetic and I can tell a positive difference, my OCI is 6 months, QS Full Syn was first:smooth running and quick starting, PZ HM Full Syn not as snappy as QS but less white smoke out the tail pipe, Not sure which of the two to run next.
TOTO.

Yeah id think it might use some oil during first 2 changes once on syn. Just check often and keep it topped up. If you stick with what you use you wont have a problem either.

No worries, I've switched as high as 105k miles....you may see a little seepage but it should dry up in short order.

What would be the advantage of syn oils? better arctic temp starts? Potentially longer oil change intervals?

I went to synthetic when my jeep was at over 160k. No more leaks than it already had.

I'm of a mind to think that today's conventional oils are so good that switching from them to synthetic is a non event. Back in the day dino oils weren't as good as today's offerings and a switch to synthetic meant that some varnish might be dissolved by the syn oil leading to leaks. Today, not so much.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I'm of a mind to think that today's conventional oils are so good that switching from them to synthetic is a non event. Back in the day dino oils weren't as good as today's offerings and a switch to synthetic meant that some varnish might be dissolved by the syn oil leading to leaks. Today, not so much.

Yea that's what I have seen as well. Its not that Syn oils are not as good, its just that conventional oils have improved a lot more.

I prefer HM versions as they have a more robust additive package that you use to only get in Syn oils.

I switched a Nissan xterra to full synthetic at 90k last year with no issues. Between changing all the fluids I could to synthetic and good plugs the mileage went up from 19 to 21. And the tranny shifts without any felt transition.

I switched my 16 year old Camry over to synthetic at 205,000 miles earlier this year.

13,300 miles later, it couldn't care one bit. No leaks.

My anecdotes: Every time I've switched to synthetic on a car that did not leak or only leaked a little, the leaks/consumption began or increased, and when I went back to synblend or conventional, the situation improved.

I tried Mobil 1 in my '86 MB 420SEL. Leaked. Leaks vanished when I went back to Valvoline conventional.

Tried Castrol Edge in my '03 Buick with the 3.8. Leaks increased a lot, and decreased to the previous level after I changed back to conventional.

Tried QSUD in my 2.4-engined '11 Regal. Lost 2 quarts in 1500 miles. Have gone back to the AC Delco cynblend, and after 3000 miles there has been no oil lost.

Only the MB was over 100K miles; the others were well under that mark. I dunno, but I think I'm going to skip synthetic until I buy my next new car, which isn't very likely.

Mine is only 1 case (or 3), though, and the vast majority of posters here have had no trouble switching.

Used M1/other syns several decades in dozens of vehicles - never saw any of this ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back