New direction with oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been running dino oil and the cheapest decent filters I can buy. For the last seven or eight years I have been running Napa Pro Select and Super Tech filters with 5W30 Supertech oil. I now live 25 more miles (50mi) away from Walmart, and I bike to work every time I can. My car can sit for up to 5 days at a time and gets bad timing chain rattle for less than two seconds at startup after sitting for more than three days.

I decided to run a filter with a better IDBV, a thicker oil to help with drain back as well as help protect a 325,000 mile engine, and change the oil annually.
Today I changed the oil using Mobil Super 5000 10W40 and a Fram XG7317. Generally the climate here is pretty mild, with maybe a week of low 20*F weather. mostly winter here consists of 50-60* and rain.
Please tell me your thoughts and I'll keep you posted on my experience.

Sounds like a good plan.
Some folks might complain with using 10w40, but you won't hear a peep out of me.

At 325k miles you've done something right, and any clearances that you have had probably opened up a long time ago. I doubt you will be able to tell a difference between it and 5w30 unless you get down into the 30 degree range.

I too prefer paying a little more for a silicone ADBV, and I've run 15w40 in plenty of vehicles with over a 100k miles without issue.

Good plan.
I have been riding my bike also whenever I can. Have noticed that when the Corolla (153,000 Mi.) sits for a week or so it is also loud for the first couple seconds after starting. I'm using synthetic 5W30 with a synthetic Fram filter.

Last edited:
Doesn't Walmart deliver for free on orders over $50? So that might not be an issue at all. The price of all the synthetic oils are quite cheap during the year so you should have your pick of them at $2-$3 per qt. Check out the nearest AutoZone in December as you might be able to stock up on 1-2 years of synthetic oil for $2/qt.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Good plan.
I have been riding my bike also whenever I can. Have noticed that when the Corolla (153,000 Mi.) sits for a week or so it is also loud for the first couple seconds after starting. I'm using synthetic 5W30 with a synthetic Fram filter.

Noticed when my car sits as well..

Think you will be more than fine with the 10w40....

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back