Valvoline Motorcycle 10W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought Valvoline Motorcycle 10W40 oil for my new to me 2002 Suzuki DR-Z400S. Good choice? Its a convetional oil. Says API SF/SG/SJ on the back, as well as JASO MA. $4/quart at Wal-Mart.

8080023_vlv_vv740_pri_larg.jpg

Yes it is good oil. Have used their 20w50 flavor for many years in my HD bikes. No problems what so ever.
That $4 per quart is a good price also unless you happen to find a great sale

I've got a little story for you. When I bought my last bike (used), the original owner always ran Amsoil in the bike. I had no desire to pay $11 a quart for oil that was going to get dumped every 3K miles anyway (because I change my oil once a year regardless of miles, which usually ends up being about 3K a year). So I decided to switch to a less expensive dino. Many people I talked to really like the black bottle Valvoline, so I thought I would give it a try. My last bike had a very clunky shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and when I switched to the Valvoline, it was actually smoother shifting than with the Amsoil. I know this is not a scientific test, but there is no denying the bike shifted smoother with the Valvoline. I'm not sure what that means, but I like the oil and I continue to use it to this day...

Member sunruh doesn't speak too highly of it. When I asked him about his thoughts on me running this oil in my XSR he told me I'd be much better off running a HDEO.

Since he has done extensive testing on motorcycle oil I took his advice and got Delvac instead.

I'm sure the valvoline is great wear wise and add pack wise however I believe it will likely shear out of grade quickly in a shared sump. I do like Valvoline products as a whole.

Test it and let us know your experience

Last edited:
a good choice? no

better than a poke in the eye? yes

will it cause your bike to explode? no

can you do a lot better for cheaper money? oh heck yes. any of the HDEOs are way better
mobil delvac, chevron delo 400, shell rotella t and supertech 15w40 are all better

especially in that drz...my good buddy rob raced a drz in tccra. not only did he race, he won on it, but that pig almost killed him doing it. very under powered in stock form for the tons of weight it carries.
sure it can be made better, but so is bacon once you kill the pig

steve

Last edited:
Is it an excellent oil? No, it will shear down like all mineral based 10w40 oils

Is it good for a 10w40 conventional? Yes, its is plenty competent.

Valvoline doesn't make junk and you could have done much much worse....like the conventional Castrol 4T.

My KTM 500, has over 18,000 miles, 360 hours on Valvoline 20w50, doesn't burn any oil, never has, all original motor still in mint condition far as I can tell. Mine sees offroad to 100 mph sweepers every ride.

I ran Castrol 4 t, one run its a nasty oil. Didn't care for it.

Redline oil your not going to improve much over that oil with anything else extreme performance wise, but unless you can get 1000's of miles off an oil change its not cost effective. A 500 race motor requires sub 1000 mile intervals (which frequency of change is far more important, than the extreme limits that an oil can do.).

shear doesn't mean wear, but maintaining a 40 weight is ideal for cam lobes, either supplement a bottle of 20w50 with your 10w40 or run straight 20w50.

Having put 40,000 mile on a DRZ, I can tell you that you need a good film strength for lobe wear. BTW that motor was all original too, and still running mint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wrong Valvoline oil. Use VR1.

Which is not an option if you want a 10w40 weight oil. He would have to settle on a straight 40, which exists but I have never seen in a store.

Been running VR1 20w50 in my DRZ400 since half of forever.

With the trails and speed I ride, I've broken every part of that bike but the engine.

I thought I was going to pooch that engine when I was forced to ride a real muddy dastardly of a trail with only one radiator, but she didn't give.

i will be trying the fully synthetic-group III no doubt valvoline 20-50 in my new thumper a G650GS, not the bmw $14.50 @ qt stuff. it meets their spec + since i park it when the cold sets in the 20-50 should work well @ $8.75 a qt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wrong Valvoline oil. Use VR1.

The black bottle Valvoline is good stuff...can't go wrong using either...

I've used the 10W-40 Valvoline Motorcycle oil in my Hayabusa for many years - it meets Suzuki oil specs. Seems just fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back