The good, and or bad on garlic and onions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm curious to know if garlic and onions are good for our health. I do recall a older gentleman that lives near me that takes a fresh garlic clove every day. He said it's good for your blood, don't know if it's true or....

Garlic keeps the vampires away! LOL

I'm sure any vegetable is good for you.
smile.gif

Yes, garlic is. Not sure on onions, but I love both. Onions I prefer raw. Be sure to have some of this on hand, though:

220.jpg

not really sure about onions but garlic is very good for you some people swear by it... Many older people use garlic for various things

Garlic and onions are more potent together than alone. Garlic can reduce blood pressure as it is considered a blood thinner. It has been proven to stop disease (ie remember the plagues of previous centuries?). I've been taking garlic and onions 1-2X per day with lunch/dinner for the past 7 years. It really improved my health, immunity, and aided my blood pressure. If you want to optimize your immunity, garlic and onions (or foods from the same group) should be high on your list. Most people avoid them because of the odor and "questionable" breath they can give you. 2 garlic cloves a day for me + a 1/4-1/2 inch slice of onion. The red onions have more potency but they can give a bit of burn down your throat.

I started taking them religiously in 2009 to combat higher blood pressure. Fwiw I haven't had a bad cold, or any flu for the past 7 years either. For the 10 years prior to that I was catching them multiple times per year along with bronchitis. Those are all gone now. My asthma cleared up as well. Take garlic and onions along with a varied and healthy diet of whole foods, veggies, fruits, etc. Garlic and onions are in my daily salad, any soups, with eggs, with tomato sauces, etc. They actually help to spice up some bland foods like quinoa, beans, etc. My daily salad has garlic and onions, kale/romaine, red cabbage, broccoli, celery, carrots, green/red pepper, apple cider vinegar, tumeric and italian spices. That's super filling even without some fish, chicken or quinoa.

The cancer-fighting benefits are nice too. The only bad? If your blood pressure is super low, maybe it makes it too low. Potent breath is about the only downside. A lot of veggies only have moderate to minimal health benefits. But some others are super foods. Eat the super foods.

Garlic just like cayenne specifically is said to be good for heart and I know the raw garlic juice is a very potent antibiotic (allicin). Certainly never heard any down sides anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
69GTX: thank you very much for all the info sir
smile.gif

Happy to help. My health was a mess at age 54. I was way overweight and on meds that made me feel strange at times. I finally decided to do something about it. The first thing was getting my weight down and off the blood pressure meds. Basically, for the first time in my life, I learned how to eat right. That includes which foods to mix and not mix...it's important. The weight started melting off. I thought I was stuck at 220 lbs forever. 10 months later I was down to 165 lbs, with normal blood pressure while off all my meds. I finally figured out how to eat and optimize my immune system. When you do that, the fat can melt away, even that unhealthy gut fat. Don't do that, and you just stay fat. Garlic and onions was one of the first things I tried. While it was part of the overall plan, I think it's critical for top immunity. With prostrate, breast, lung and stomach cancer in my family, and diabetes, all of this helps. It's a good amount of work every day to ensure you get all the right foods. There's almost not enough time in the day to ingest it all. I fight the junk food cravings as well...I didn't get up to 250 lbs originally by eating "good." I'm 62 now. And at one point weighed the same as I did in 9th grade at 5-10 - 160 lbs.

69GTX: I'm already down to 198~ lbs from 289lbs last October. Still enjoy a craft beer once in a while. I love spinach, kale and onions and garlic.

Seems like Parsley helps keep your breath friendly when you eat garlic and onions, if I remember right. I remember as a kid, my dad would slice onions and put them between bread and them that way.

Originally Posted By: car51
69GTX: I'm already down to 198~ lbs from 289lbs last October. Still enjoy a craft beer once in a while. I love spinach, kale and onions and garlic.

It's amazing how you can switch from loving junk and processed foods filled with salt, sugar and trans fats....and switch to "bland" foods with none of it. Eventually, those bland foods start tasting "potent" while one bite of a "whopper" will make you swoon. Congrats on your big changes. Everyone can do it. But I found it's important to know the science and chemistry of your body as to "why" you need to do it. When you realize your endothelial cells are covered over in [censored] and can't work, then you'll realize why it's important to keep them clean. Next comes the sugar/cholesterol/??? mechanism in artery plaque. It's a lot harder to pound down the junk when you know what's going on inside your body. Just having someone tell you that's "bad" for you doesn't quite get the point home.

Another player in the immunity loop are vitamins and minerals, many of which come from your food. But one that you need to get in quantities outside your diet is Vit D3 from the sun's UV B rays. That's the one other thing I added to my regimen in 2009. My work schedule for the previous 10 yrs only allowed me to get some sun on weekends, if I was lucky. D3 was originally added for blood pressure control, or so I thought. It can be debated. I've later learned that it's role in immunity and fighting auto-immune diseases is not well understood. The dermatologists and primary care Dr's tell you to stay out of the sun, especially during peak hours. That's nuts. Then why do we have sun along with hundreds of photo-isomers we can't get anywhere else? Get your 15-45 min every day if possible, during peak hours. I know some people with advanced skin cancers or who fought them and staying out of the sun is something they apparently must do. I hope I don't get to that point. You are a 100X more likely to die from an internal cancer than skin cancer or melanoma. I'll take my chances with the 1%. Skin cancers are a lot more treatable than internal ones.

Celery is another moderate blood thinner. Some swear by 2-4 stalks per day. IIRC parsley is a blood thinner too.

My Wife cooks with both on a daily basis. I happen to love her cooking. I don't know what health benefits they give but I am 53 now and have zero health problems other than from broken bones from a few accidents I was in.

69GTX: I'm 54 and exactly the same size I was at age 16. 6'2" and 147 pounds. But in even better shape both cardio wise and strength wise. In my late 20's I was 235 and heading towards disaster.

I Attribute it completely to following the WFPB diet recommendations of Dr. Greger of nutritionfacts.org, Dr.John McDougall of drmcdougall.com, T. Colin Campbell (Chair Dept. of Biochemistry Cornell University) and author of "The China Study", Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn author of "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease", Dr. Neal Barnard of Physicians Committee for responsible Medicine.

That was the best thing I ever did.

I have been growing many hundreds of garlic and onions every year over the past 10 years and use them copiously in everything I prepare. Neither my blood pressure or cholesterol have changed at all during this period - same range as they were 20 and 30 years ago. I grow them and eat them because they taste good.

The relationship between specific foods or supplements with long term health is extremely complex, and it is almost impossible to isolate and associate the effects of one food. This is why the labels all say "promotes" or "supports" a health benefit rather than making a definitive claim. Lots of marketing fufu. I just eat a varied diet, keep my weight in a normal range, control my blood pressure, and enjoy my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back