Advice to yourself if you could turn back time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What advice would you give yourself if you could go back in time to the day you finished high school ?

Basically a one on one talk about advice and mistakes to avoid in life...

Get a finance degree. Don't worry about how much Georgetown is going to cost you. (they were recruiting me). Went with Penn State, hated it and transferred to another B level school.

At the gym don't "spot" someone lifting free-weights for the first time when they insist on starting out on the inclined bench press with far too much weight.

I'd take back those words that'll hurt you and you'd stay

Really , though,

I'd find a different way to pay for college even if it meant going longer and not living on campus. Not taking a certain job. Avoiding certain relationships.

I'm full of regrets and bad prior decisions. But I don't like to dwell on them.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Also invest in real estate early when it was cheap.

This. I had some chances to invest in the 1980s that would put me on easy street now. But I grew up in a "get a secure job and save" family so I was scared.

Also I wish I would have not worried about stuff as much, you never know what is going to happen anyway.

Take some proper lessons before riding a motorcycle on road. They are different to ride than bicycles,
and off-road motorcycles.

For every success and failure just ride life for what it is. You don't get the date, job etc etc don't get mad just realize their might be a bigger opportunity out there waiting. Oh yeah and talk to your sister longer she won't be around long.

Every success and failure has lead me to where I am today and I wouldn't turn back time for anything...

In 2001, when you decide to buy a house and you start selling some of your stock portfolio for the downpayment, sell Enron first.

1. Be extremely careful who you marry and have kids with. Be very careful before any marriage commitment is made to learn about addictive behavior, alcoholism, and substance abuse in the immediate family. Having kids with someone that has serious addiction themselves or in their immediate family (parents, grand parents, sisters and brothers) is a recipe for disaster. Ignore this at your own and your children's life long peril.

2. And have the backbone and self control to live below your means, stay out of consumer debt, and save at least 10-15% of every paycheck starting now not some [censored] day in the future.

Last edited:
Get a trade before you go to university.

Never trust a manager.

Never trust a neurologist.

Last edited:
Should have told my old boss what I thought, a little more.
wink.gif

don't be a dumb-[censored], and listen to those recruiters.
I had a VERY anti-military streak in me at the time, and there was no way i was signing up.
I got near daily calls from army and airforce recruiters for a couple months after taking the asvab.

looking back, and seeing the changes in people after they've served, it would have done me a lot of good...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back