Corvette owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will soon be in the market to buy a used Vette, probably a C5. Any info any of you Vette owners could pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

The best advice I can give you is take someone that really knows corvettes with you or have them check it out. There are lots of shops that only do Corvettes, they know the areas to look for not just the drive train.
I was looking at a 68 one time and took a friend of mine with me who knew these things inside and out, he found it had a few SMC bonding strips not the fiberglass ones that it was supposed to have in those years this eliminated the car on the spot.
There are a lot of accident victims out there, many that have not been reported and don't show up on a carfax. Beware.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I will soon be in the market to buy a used Vette, probably a C5. Any info any of you Vette owners could pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Love the C5 pop-up headlamps. Fall seems to be the best time to shop for a Corvette.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks

Love the C5 pop-up headlamps. Fall seems to be the best time to shop for a Corvette.

Me too, but there's also something to the fact that the C5 was considered the first version of the Corvette to be a world class sports car that makes it so appealing to me...

C5's are great. Fun, well composed performance. Generally trouble free, except for the common issues which include steering column lock, rear drivers side axle seal leak and the plastic headlamp gear can strip and easily be replaced with a brass one.

I would get the newest one with low miles. Wait until you find the right one for you. There are many out there, some in like new condition. They improved and worked out minor issue in the later years of production. Be careful of modifications and cars that have been tuned.

I have a '03 Torch Red Z06. Torch Red polishes up nice and under certain light conditions, GLOWS a cast I haven't seen in Red's before. My favorite is the Z06, but have driven the coupe and have been in the convertible and all are great.

Best of Luck!

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
C5's are great. Fun, well composed performance. Generally trouble free, except for the common issues which include steering column lock, rear drivers side axle seal leak and the plastic headlamp gear can strip and easily be replaced with a brass one.

I would get the newest one with low miles. Wait until you find the right one for you. There are many out there, some in like new condition. They improved and worked out minor issue in the later years of production. Be careful of modifications and cars that have been tuned.

I have a '03 Torch Red Z06. Torch Red polishes up nice and under certain light conditions, GLOWS a cast I haven't seen in Red's before. My favorite is the Z06, but have driven the coupe and have been in the convertible and all are great.

Best of Luck!

Torch red is the color I want...to me, it's the ONLY color for a Corvette!

Corvettes can be great used cars to get because a lot of guys buy them new, keep the miles off and only get them out occasionally, "never driven in the rain", etc etc. Then eventually sell them in great shape at a massive depreciation loss. Kind of a larger version of what I do with motorcycles, LoL. Big win for the buyer shopping pre-owned.

If you get a C5 get a 2001 or newer. 01 was a update year that fixed and updated things from the first several years.

I don't own one, But I work on them quite often. zfasts03 summed it up real well.....Too expand what he said.

C5's are fantastic machines! Probably one of the MOST reliable Sports Car ever made.

Stay away from the '97/'98 model. First years of the Platform & Drivetrian.

The Harrison V7 AC Compressor is a known "Belly Leaker".

Any & All C5's will need the Harmonic Balancer changed if still original, Based on age alone! I replace them all the time. The outer hub will walk toward the Front Cover & in some instances damage the Cover. The Rack & Pinion has to be removed to access the Balancer.

Valve Springs, Valve Springs, Valve Springs!!!!!!! Too many LS1/LS6 engines are ruined because of a broke Valve Spring. Manual cars seem to be more affected. If you start hearing a tick out of nowhere.....Pull over & call a Hook. Or replace them now as PM. LS1 cars benefit from LS6 springs for a little extra Valve Control.

A LS1 will also benefit from a LS6 Valley Cover for better Oil Control.

If you can swing the extra dough, A LS2 or LS3 C6 is a pretty good buy. I personally like the better low end punch of the bigger engines. The lack of actual door handles & a Key is a little weird......Keep a good battery in the car!!

I also own a torch red z06. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! Some 01 z06's burned oil, yet they were re-ringed under a recall.

Make sure the climate control displays properly. That's a common problem that they don't work correctly. It will display red lines before it doesn't work at all.

I would underscore waiting for a really nice one. There are plenty of low mileage cars out there if you are patient. I think the discount you would achieve by going for anything over 25k miles would not be worth it.

I own a 94 Admiral Blue Coupe (with Z07) and a 2003 50th Anniversary (ruby red) convertible and love them both. There a huge values in buying C5's and you can get a really nice car for low cash. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Corvettes can be great used cars to get because a lot of guys buy them new, keep the miles off and only get them out occasionally, "never driven in the rain", etc etc. Then eventually sell them in great shape at a massive depreciation loss. Kind of a larger version of what I do with motorcycles, LoL. Big win for the buyer shopping pre-owned.

That's another thing that makes them so appealing to me. New, they're a fairly expensive car, so people tend to keep them garaged all the time, only drive them in nice weather, and they also tend to maintain them very well. Finding one that's been trashed is unlikely, but I do think I'll want to stay away from modified ones. Corvettes are usually a luxury item, meaning they're not a necessity, but a toy. Toys tend to be babied a lot, which is a good thing when looking to buy a used vehicle....

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
If you get a C5 get a 2001 or newer. 01 was a update year that fixed and updated things from the first several years.

I've heard other people say this...what were the problems with the pre-2001 models that were corrected in '01?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I don't own one, But I work on them quite often. zfasts03 summed it up real well.....Too expand what he said.

C5's are fantastic machines! Probably one of the MOST reliable Sports Car ever made.

Stay away from the '97/'98 model. First years of the Platform & Drivetrian.

The Harrison V7 AC Compressor is a known "Belly Leaker".

Any & All C5's will need the Harmonic Balancer changed if still original, Based on age alone! I replace them all the time. The outer hub will walk toward the Front Cover & in some instances damage the Cover. The Rack & Pinion has to be removed to access the Balancer.

Valve Springs, Valve Springs, Valve Springs!!!!!!! Too many LS1/LS6 engines are ruined because of a broke Valve Spring. Manual cars seem to be more affected. If you start hearing a tick out of nowhere.....Pull over & call a Hook. Or replace them now as PM. LS1 cars benefit from LS6 springs for a little extra Valve Control.

A LS1 will also benefit from a LS6 Valley Cover for better Oil Control.

If you can swing the extra dough, A LS2 or LS3 C6 is a pretty good buy. I personally like the better low end punch of the bigger engines. The lack of actual door handles & a Key is a little weird......Keep a good battery in the car!!

I don't think a C6 is going to be in my price range, but I will probably be going for a later year model of the C5...

I've heard other people say this...what were the problems with the pre-2001 models that were corrected in '01?

They updated the engine, fixed the suspension issues (mostly first year), and some other small items. 2001 was also the first year Stabiltrac was standard so that alone was worth it IMO. But 2001 had the most updates/fixes of any year for the C5

* Return to 28# injectors for all models.
* Second Generation Active Handling
* Nassau Blue discontinued
* Alternator 'clutch' pulley added on A4 cars
* New soundproofing + foam in all cars
* Smaller keyfob
* Electrochromic dimming rearview and driver's mirrors
* Lighter AGM battery
* Thickness + Material in Convertible change
* Chrome exhaust tips for coupe + Convertible
* 85MM MAF with integral temp sensor (versus 74mm with separate plug for IAT)
* LS1 cam profile changed to: .500/0.500, 198/208 on 115.5LSA (From: 0.472/0.479, 202/210 on 117)
* All Corvettes now have the LS6 intake manifold
* All Corvettes now have the LS6 engine block (windage passages in block), which includes a beefier oil pump.
* LS1 changes result in new output of 350 HP @ 5200 RPM and 375 Ft Lbs of torque @ 4400 RPM (MN6)
* Hardtop/FRC discontinued
* Stronger synchros in all transmissions
* Exhaust manifolds revised (5hp regained) - thin wall cast replacing SS manifolds
* Metal valvestem caps (late year)
* Torque Tube changed from metal-matrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, increased in diameter from 55 to 63 mm.
* Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability
* Introduction of the Z06, which has as differences:
* Hardtop body style
* Rear brake ducting
* Screened inlets on front fascia, without foglights
* F1 Supercar tires 265-17 front, 295-18 rear, on 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 (one inch wider, respectively
* New LS6 top-end with new style head design (10.5:1 compression, 64cc chamber), LS6 cam (0.525/0.525, 204/211 on 116) - 385hp
* M12 transmission with shorter gearing (1-2-3 analagous to MN6 with 3.90 rear diff
* Titanium exhaust system
* Lightweight windshield
* New, stronger clutch with redesigned master + slave cylinder
* Stronger rear differential (shotpeened ring gear)
* Red brake calipers (otherwise identical)
* Transmission overtemp warning light on DIC
* 6500 redline gauges with special checkering + Z06 font
* Redesigned PCV system to help combat oil burning
* Red LS6 Fuel Rail Covers (FRC's)
* FE4 Z06 suspension - uprated springs, bars (30mm/23.6mm), shocks (note front spring and rear bar same as Z51)

They updated the engine, fixed the suspension issues (mostly first year), and some other small items. 2001 was also the first year Stabiltrac was standard so that alone was worth it IMO. But 2001 had the most updates/fixes of any year for the C5

* Return to 28# injectors for all models.
* Second Generation Active Handling
* Nassau Blue discontinued
* Alternator 'clutch' pulley added on A4 cars
* New soundproofing + foam in all cars
* Smaller keyfob
* Electrochromic dimming rearview and driver's mirrors
* Lighter AGM battery
* Thickness + Material in Convertible change
* Chrome exhaust tips for coupe + Convertible
* 85MM MAF with integral temp sensor (versus 74mm with separate plug for IAT)
* LS1 cam profile changed to: .500/0.500, 198/208 on 115.5LSA (From: 0.472/0.479, 202/210 on 117)
* All Corvettes now have the LS6 intake manifold
* All Corvettes now have the LS6 engine block (windage passages in block), which includes a beefier oil pump.
* LS1 changes result in new output of 350 HP @ 5200 RPM and 375 Ft Lbs of torque @ 4400 RPM (MN6)
* Hardtop/FRC discontinued
* Stronger synchros in all transmissions
* Exhaust manifolds revised (5hp regained) - thin wall cast replacing SS manifolds
* Metal valvestem caps (late year)
* Torque Tube changed from metal-matrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, increased in diameter from 55 to 63 mm.
* Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability
* Introduction of the Z06, which has as differences:
* Hardtop body style
* Rear brake ducting
* Screened inlets on front fascia, without foglights
* F1 Supercar tires 265-17 front, 295-18 rear, on 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 (one inch wider, respectively
* New LS6 top-end with new style head design (10.5:1 compression, 64cc chamber), LS6 cam (0.525/0.525, 204/211 on 116) - 385hp
* M12 transmission with shorter gearing (1-2-3 analagous to MN6 with 3.90 rear diff
* Titanium exhaust system
* Lightweight windshield
* New, stronger clutch with redesigned master + slave cylinder
* Stronger rear differential (shotpeened ring gear)
* Red brake calipers (otherwise identical)
* Transmission overtemp warning light on DIC
* 6500 redline gauges with special checkering + Z06 font
* Redesigned PCV system to help combat oil burning
* Red LS6 Fuel Rail Covers (FRC's)
* FE4 Z06 suspension - uprated springs, bars (30mm/23.6mm), shocks (note front spring and rear bar same as Z51)

Wow, that's a lot of upgrades! Now I see why I should be looking for an '01 or later model!

Patman had a 1998 vette that he put a lot of miles on before trading it in for an 05:

Click Me!

He drove the 98 in snowy winter weather in Canada and had it hand washed by shop each week to keep it looking nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back