2001 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up one of these motors with a boat I bought. Only want the boat, dont need another outboard, so most liley will sell.

This is not a Suzuki built, but OMC built motor. Does anyone know if they are any good? Most internet info says they are POS, but you never hear from the satisfied owners on forums.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I just picked up one of these motors with a boat I bought. Only want the boat, dont need another outboard, so most liley will sell.

This is not a Suzuki built, but OMC built motor. Does anyone know if they are any good? Most internet info says they are POS, but you never hear from the satisfied owners on forums.

I heard the same on some fishing forums I am on, back in the early 2000s....

Good question ... Have you tried it out? How does it run? How does the crankcase lube look/smell? Did the manual come with it?

On the oft chance, it's not a Tohatsu is it. I hear that BRP is now having Tohatsu build their small motors. I think they went that route once before ...

I have changed the oil and filter. (was overdue based on the colour) Changed the gear oil, cleaned it up and greased it. drained the carb bowl and fuel line. Removed the plugs and inspect. Also clean out the gas tank that was full of phase separated ethanol [censored]. I have run it twice on the hose, and first time it back fired through the carb when I gave it gas. Second time it ran better, but honestly its no Honda for smoothness.

It seems many parts are no longer available including the timing belt which should be done every four years. Going to do a full lake test before I decide what to do with it.

When BRP took over OMC they stopped production of these four stokes and bough units from Suzuki. Noe they are buying from Tohatsu which I am told build a good motor.

Well that's an interesting bit of history and effort. Good on you. If you get it running right, maybe someone can use it, if you decide not to ...

Yeah, from everything I've read, and been told (while trying to trade in my Honda ...), the Tohatsu's are the cream of the crop. They never skimped on anything and they under-rate their motors so they are always strong in comparison.

OTOH, my Honda BF50 EFI was pretty much a joke. Any good running Johns-a-Rude 40~50 would have whup'd it hands down. Not smooth and not a lot of power. It was running well and it RPM'd right where it should, but was annoyingly noisy at various RPM, growled at cruising speed, and was not at all what I expected out of a three cylinder.

Now onto its third owner, and he'll do OK as it's going on a 16' aluminum fishing boat, paired with a 10HP Honda kicker ... Plenty for his rig. Not enough for my 18' hand laid fiberglass hull with built-in wooden furniture ... Johns-a-Rude 70HP looper for me next
smile.gif

And if that don't get it, I have a 140 V4 bubble back hiding in the wings
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back