Replacing TPM sensors with regular valve stems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a set of OEM 15" steel wheels and tires from a 2013 Yaris via Craigslist as a minor upgrade to the 14's on my wife's Corolla. They came with TPM sensors, something her 2002 car is not equipped with. The tires are shot and are the wrong size anyway. In order to avoid a possible issue with whoever I end up taking the car to to replace the tires, I'm thinking of breaking the beads and installing regular rubber valve stems. I don't want the sensors damaged when they are removed and I don't want to hear any talk about them not being 'allowed' to remove them or having some 'need' to rebuild them. I just don't want it to be an issue at all. So...

I'm hoping to just be able to buy four regular stems somewhere and swap them out. Tire Rack mentions two stem hole sizes, .453" and .625" and I'm assuming the .453" is the more common one? Is there any reason why I can't do this? Thanks.

I would think you bringing them in and saying they are for a 2002 would be sufficient. Especially if you bring them in the trunk of your 2002 car.

AFAIK it's the 0.453". But honestly I'd look for a shop that would do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back