Are Yokohama tires any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to put new tires on my 09 Honda Civic. I have Continental Contact AS tires on my 2011 Civic with only 6k miles on them. Was thinking of going with those on my 09 but there is currently no promotion on the Continentals.
Yokohama YK740's have $100 worth of rebates included for the same price point, so I am considering these.
They are proprietary to Discount Tire and replace the YK580 model which was, from my own research, pretty well reviewed.
(Steering clear of Michelin's)
crazy.gif
So what is your experience with Yokohama? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have loved my Yoko Avid series tires. I've had them on a Prius, Neon (2 sets), Impala, Caliber and Town and Country.

Excellent tire life and decent traction for all seasons.

I have Yokohamas (YK580s) on the Bug and Mom's VUE. If left on a hard surface for a couple of days (i.e., a garage floor) they seem to flat-spot and bounce until they get warmed up. If left outside on the grass or gravel it doesn't happen. They are excellent in the rain.

I like them better than the Pirellis I have on the Saturd, fwiw.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I have Yokohamas (YK580s) on the Bug and Mom's VUE. If left on a hard surface for a couple of days (i.e., a garage floor) they seem to flat-spot and bounce until they get warmed up. If left outside on the grass or gravel it doesn't happen. They are excellent in the rain.

I like them better than the Pirellis I have on the Saturd, fwiw.

Hmmm. Flat spot and bounce sounds bad. lol

Put YK-HTK (now HTX's) from Discount Tire on our 2011 Outback last year. In 25K miles they are doing fine. Vehicle performed well this winter. Based on tread wear, these tires will probably go the full 70K miles.

Previously had Kumho KR 21's on the vehicle, and they only lasted about 40K miles. No issues with the tires, but they were supposed to go about 60K miles.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
LOOK AT THE TIRE RACK TESTS. I WOULD TRY fALKENZEIX. OR kUMHO

Yk's aren't included in the Tire Rack Ratings because they are proprietary to Discount Tire.

[/quote]Previously had Kumho KR 21's on the vehicle, and they only lasted about 40K miles. No issues with the tires, but they were supposed to go about 60K miles. [/quote]

Low mileage before replacement is a big negative for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racer12306
I have loved my Yoko Avid series tires. I've had them on a Prius, Neon (2 sets), Impala, Caliber and Town and Country.

Excellent tire life and decent traction for all seasons.

Plus one. In my case, 2 sets on a Taurus.

I have YK580s on one of my cars and two have 35k miles and still have a lot of tread left. The Falken Ziex 912 that were on there before were at the wear bars by that mileage.

Try and borrow 100 dollars so you can stick with the Continentals.

Lots of folks commenting about how long tyres last, when they should be more interested in braking distance figures in the wet.
If you drive for max economy it will make a big difference to how long your tyres last, as will maintaining the correct tyre pressures. Balancing and alignment are also very important.

Alas the best performing tyres in the dry tend to have softer compounds, so you can't expect them to last quite as long as some far Eastern or budget brands. Michellin seem to be top dog when it comes to long lasting tyres that still have fairly good performance figures.
I just use Conti's or Dunlops, but would consider using Goodyear tyres if I used all seasons. Oddly enough I just use Conti winter tyres on my Twingo town car, as that is OK with my insurance company and local regs in Germany.

Last edited:
I have used Yokahama's on and off for many years. Always good tires. The last set of 883's I had on my rally prep'd Audi 80 were excellent all around compromise tires for mixed surfaces. I got WAY to many tickets in that car on those tires
laugh.gif

The yk740 isnt replacing the yk580 its a separate line... less sporty more regular touring tire/long tread life.

Of course yokohama makes good tires.. they make poorly performing lines like all tire manufacturers.

I think they are the Toyota of the tire world. Not spectacular but solid value, often significantly cheaper than the premium brands while giving most of the performance.
Also I believe they make all their tires themselves in their own plants in Japan and the US. My family has always had good luck with them.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The yk740 isnt replacing the yk580 its a separate line... less sporty more regular touring tire/long tread life.

Of course yokohama makes good tires.. they make poorly performing lines like all tire manufacturers.

Okay thanks. I guess the guy who sells them is wrong.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I love the Avid Ascends. Great tire.
I've got a set in V rating on an 08 V6 Camry. I wouldn't want anything less capable on a car with that kind pf power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back