Oil and Filter for 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic. My plan is to use Rotella T6 and a kawasaki 16097-0008 filter.

Any other oils/filters I should be looking at? Any reason this is a dumb idea? I'm not doing anything for a week or so, so there's no rush. Thanks!

edit: I should add that the bike is under a two year/unlimited mile dealer warranty

Last edited:
I always use motor oils that are bike specific for wet clutch use ... no worries then.

T6 has been shown to be very shear prone in shared sump scenarios. The transmissions just chew it to shreds. You would be better running the conventional Rotella.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
T6 has been shown to be very shear prone in shared sump scenarios. The transmissions just chew it to shreds. You would be better running the conventional Rotella.

Yeah it shears fast, you can feel the shifting get weird in a few hundred miles. The 15w-40 Rotella does better.

Triple T it is. The spec mentioned is JASO MA2, so that's pretty broad. I've read that Shell just applied that rating to their product due to in-house testing, but I run Triple T in my S50 already, so no concerns there.

Thanks, guys!

As for oil filters, you have a lot to pick from.
I use Baldwin filters on my cars and bikes. From Baldwin the stock filter is the B1400 L 2 5/8"-OD 2 21/32" or if you have room B1402 L 3 1/2" OD 2 9/16" or B1431 L 4" OD 2 21/32" or B161-S L 4 1/16" OD 3 1/32" or if you have a lot of room B199 L 5 1/8" OD 3"

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back