octane ratings and ethanol % in your state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That has to be a state thing. All the nozzles for both ethanol free and ethanol blend pumps are the same small diameter in my area.

I think at least here, it may have to do with the fact that all the ethanol free is all "offroad use only." The majority of offroad equipment I'm familiar with(lawn mowers, tractors, boats, etc) have fillers that would take a leaded nozzle. My guess is that the "offroad only" pumps have that diameter to make pumping into a car difficult.

Here in Washington, I think it's a basic 87/89/93 Octane with about 10% Ethanol, same in Arizona, where I lived for 3 years until May.

I figured that the numbers were the same in the Western part of the states, until I took a trip to Utah several months ago, and saw 85 Octane everywhere. Was slightly worried that putting anything under 87 would harm the engine (2014 Nissan Sentra), but, didn't have to drive very much with it to notice any difference.

Got a '16 VW Jetta now. Interested in putting a full tank of 93 in to see if there's any extra oomph with it.
smile.gif

Connecticut has 87, 89 and 93 octane. All E-10 Fuels. 91 octane is available at certain gas stations. I have not seen e-85 or any other blend here yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back