Carquest Premium oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is that black stuff in second picture?? I think it's glue but can't say for sure. I don't think it will be a problem really at all. But I am curious if someone knows what that could be.

Could be glue or something,maybe.
confused.gif

Looks like a Fram CQ Blue, which is basically an M1 (not exactly M1, but very very close)

What's the part number and date code?
smile.gif

It's a 84356. It's code is 022215 AB 20:01. I think you are right that's it the Carquest blue by Champion Lab.

The first picture seems to show the edge of the base has spots of corrosion. I would try getting a refund and buy a sensible filter.
OEM from a good dealer, Bosch, Mann (Only if made in Germany), Mobil 1, Amsoil or AC Delco all make certified OEM standard oil filters.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
The first picture seems to show the edge of the base has spots of corrosion. I would try getting a refund and buy a sensible filter.
OEM from a good dealer, Bosch, Mann (Only if made in Germany), Mobil 1, Amsoil or AC Delco all make certified OEM standard oil filters.

Can't tell anything from those photos. What you are seeing in the rubber gasket not corrosion.

That's not a Fram, that's the newer CQ Premium (not Blue) made by Purolator/Mann & Hummel, similar to the Pure 1. Watch out for louvers not fully open, wide pleat spacing, possible brittle/tearing media, etc. Cut it open after you run it, if you dare!

Last edited:
Do not see a thing wrong with that filter from the pictures. Run it and go with something different next time if you so choose.

I don't really see anything, if anything might be some rtv 'type' sealant/glue. Honestly, given it's location I wouldn't worry about it.

As for who makes this CQ, while I can't definitively rule out the one M&H Puro notion, using the base plate, it sure looks most like a Champ/(fram) made filter to me. It even has the same epoxy type glue holding the baseplate around the edge. Old Super Tech looked similar and there was a thread years ago about excess epoxy on the ST. A look at the dome bypass could help further confirm.

Compare the topic CQ baseplate to the then Champ made MicroGard and STP pictured. Even the #2 on the plate of MG is the same. Also the MG and STP uses Champ made louvered center tube. For those reasons, I'll go with others previously identifying as Champ/(fram) made CQ here. From this thread.

EDIT Just now saw the OP's pics of an M1 oil posted HERE adding to the Champ made CQ evidence.

O'R MG on left, STP on right.

IMG_0748.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Sayjac.. yeah I feel very confident that is a Champion Lab Carquest filter I got. The black stuff in the top or first picture is likely glue or an adhesive. I agree with you that it is probably no big deal. I plan on running it on the Altima. The bottom two pictures I put on here were to show the louvers and how they are opened. Which they do look good in that regard. For $8 the Carquest Premium filter is a good buy. I am going to add to my filter stash with them. I know Wally world has the Fram Ultra or TG has well. I just don't care for walking all the way in and out of that place. Unless I am having a very good day with my legs I really don't want to go there. But I have been to Wally world to get some Castrol Magnatec when I felt really good a month or so ago
smile.gif

And lately I have been feeling pretty good so I can't complain.

Put up the date code, that'll tell who the manufacturer was. Still doesn't look like the Fram/Champ inverted baseplate (where the threaded part sticks out farther than the inlet holes). I still think AAP switched all of their house branded oil filters to Purolator/M&H (also making Wix now).

I have put up the code already... it's in the above posts. 022215AB 20:01. I think it means it was made on the 222nd day of 2015. Which is before M/H took over the manufacturing of the Carquest line of filters.
I don't mean to be coming off like I'm giving you a hard time. I am sorry if it seems that way. I don't mean to. Just hard to not seem like a jack donkey typing stuff at times
smile.gif

If we were in person this is a ton easier to avoid that perception.

Last edited:
It looks like excess potting glue for the media and center tube. Better than too little which I have seen. These things are mass produced for the price they charge. I am finding plenty of defects in all brands except the Toyota Denso from Thailand. The last Frams I got looked pretty good too. Baldwin, Supertech, Purolator Boss, and Microgreen, no. Of course those Toyotas have a very simple construction no potted end caps.

Hey goodtimes in the second or first flash picture of the center tube do you see that black stuff in the center tube? That's what I am thinking is a bit odd. But I think it is glue or adhesive at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
It's a 84356. It's code is 022215 AB 20:01. I think you are right that's it the Carquest blue by Champion Lab.

02/22/15
February 22, 2015

Was the code written in dotted yellow letters?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's not a Fram, that's the newer CQ Premium (not Blue) made by Purolator/Mann & Hummel, similar to the Pure 1. Watch out for louvers not fully open, wide pleat spacing, possible brittle/tearing media, etc. Cut it open after you run it, if you dare!

Yes, it is. The baseplate is totally Fram, and so is the date code format given.

Purolator's date code has more letters in it, like F02G22D1 or something

Also, Purolator's counterpart, the 14610, has 8 small holes

Yeah it is in yellow dotted letters man. That is one of the reasons I thought it was a Champion Lab made filter too. I remember what you educated me on several months ago about this
smile.gif

I think that black stuff is a glue/adhesive in that one picture with the flash on.

Last edited:
Yeah yellow lettering date code using the month/day/year format is Champ/(fram).

And now finally see the referenced black stuff inside center tube. Agree with gt, likely some excess potting material for endcap adhesive. I still don't see it as a big issue.

Yeah I agree Sayjac that it's not a big deal. I was just wondering what that stuff was. I am going to run it on my Altima 3.5. I am pleased with the price point for it. I'm going to buy a couple more that are left that are the champ lab type.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have put up the code already... it's in the above posts. 022215AB 20:01. I think it means it was made on the 222nd day of 2015. Which is before M/H took over the manufacturing of the Carquest line of filters.

That's not a Fram date code. My guess it means the date is 2/22/15 =Feb 22, 2015.

See slacktide beat me to it ... but it's not a Fram date code format as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back