Got hit this past Saturday. I'm OK but shaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a 35+ year road rider. I was hit Saturday by a guy in his pickup. He clipped me with his mirror shortly after I finished climbing a hill. My left arm is severely bruised in the bicep/tricep area. Otherwise I'm OK. Somehow I never went down. The guy stopped, indicating that he had been putting his seat belt on. I asked for the police and they came, but doubt that I'll need them for anything. Whole thing has me a little shaken, but I did get through my ride today. I didn't do the busiest section of the ride and didn't do the portion where I was hit, but I did get back out there. The whole thing still has a kind of surreal quality to it.

Glad your okay. Hit a deer in my 1993 Grand Prix SE Coupe and hardly slept for a week. Its normal, like PTSD it will get better with time,I hope for you. Look at it like nobody died and that is a positive reinforcement in its own. Goes back to your life is only on borrowed time from the higher powers.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Glad your okay. Hit a deer in my 1993 Grand Prix SE Coupe and hardly slept for a week. Its normal, like PTSD it will get better with time,I hope for you. Look at it like nobody died and that is a positive reinforcement in its own. Goes back to your life is only on borrowed time from the higher powers.

Appreciate the kind thoughts. Cycling has been an important part of my life for a long time. I try to make it as safe as possible but I'm not inclined to quit. Doing so would be particularly inappropriate in the immediate aftermath of this incident.

Glad you are ok! I have ridden my bike for nearly 40 years around town(150,000 people) and never ride on the street. I use side walks as it is so much safer. You get hit by a vehicle you could easily be killed. You collide with a pedestrian or another bike, no one gets hurt. Bikes don't belong in the street and I say this as a life long cyclist. Start riding on the sidewalks...it could save your life.

Glad you survived. I'd never ride a bike in traffic though, you're basically gambling with your own life. There are several people who were killed recently in my city riding bikes. The worst ones were the ones where it wasn't the rider's fault, like some minor accident but the rider went under a bus's tires or a truck making a turn and wiping out the girl on the bicycle. Then as a driver, you see people on bikes making crazy decisions, going the wrong way and they're just lucky that the drivers are paying attention and not killing them.

Glad you are OK. When I see someone riding a bike I make sure to drift as far in my lane away from rider to ensure I don't bump them.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
....I'm not inclined to quit. Doing so would be particularly inappropriate in the immediate aftermath of this incident.

That's up to you, of course, but I don't get the "particularly inappropriate" thing. Nothing "particularly inappropriate" about rational, experienced-based fear for ones safety, rather the reverse.

Last edited:
The way folks drive I may never get on a street bike again. Around here you can be squashed like a bug by all the idiots texting and talking on their phones.

Glad the OP lived to talk about it.....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Glad you are OK. When I see someone riding a bike I make sure to drift as far in my lane away from rider to ensure I don't bump them.

That's what I do.
THEN, look in my Rear View Mirror to see that their still on their bicycle (lawsuit avoided).

Good to hear your ok! I remember back when I first started a mirror from a truck came so close could feel it! Knock on wood nothing like that in 4+k following. A few mentioned texting I'm getting a GoPro this winter I bet I can catch at least 10 a day. At lights it's really bad.. I've started going around and typically make it a couple blocks before they realize the light has changed!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
....I'm not inclined to quit. Doing so would be particularly inappropriate in the immediate aftermath of this incident.

That's up to you, of course, but I don't get the "particularly inappropriate" thing. Nothing "particularly inappropriate" about rational, experienced-based fear for ones safety, rather the reverse.

It would be particularly inappropriate for me to make a decision that is driven by the emotion of this event. I'm not sure that a rational assessment of the potential risks and rewards to cycling is possible for me at the moment. I fully recognize that you might consider it appropriate for you make the decision to give up riding at this time. I certainly didn't mean to imply that what's right for me should be right for you just as I'm sure that you wouldn't mean to suggest that your understanding of rational thought should be mine.

What's the guy being charged with? Hopefully something serious and you get some money out of the deal. I have no patience for distracted driving.

Glad you survived! At least in NH I think they could be charged. Link.
Quote:
Every driver of a vehicle, when approaching a bicyclist, shall insure the safety and protection of the bicyclist and shall exercise due care by leaving a reasonable and prudent distance between the vehicle and the bicycle. The distance shall be presumed to be reasonable and prudent if it is at least 3 feet when the vehicle is traveling at 30 miles per hour or less, with one additional foot of clearance required for every 10 miles per hour above 30 miles per hour.

I know I recently rode into the ditch on my road bike, as I knew the passing school bus didn't have enough space--the 2 miles next to my house has the white line often missing due to lack of pavement. I still bike it, due to low vehicle traffic. But sometimes I do strongly think about carting the bicycle to someplace "safer" to bike.

Sorry about your incident, glad you're ok though. Not that it would have helped necessarily but just curious if you use one of those side view mirror glasses I see some cyclist using? Not sure if there is a name for it.

I try to give wide berth to riders if possible. Be safe.

People drive in the lane as if they're cars. Suicidal if you ask me, but whatever. All it takes is the person behind thinking you're just another idiot driving too slow and ends up killing the guy on the bike because he can't see you and he doesn't realize that's why you're driving slow because you can't pass. Just my thoughts. I'm usually on the bikers [censored] to keep that from happening until I can pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this is a bicycle.

Most roads have no room for bicyclists.

I would never ride on the sholder of any road any more.

When I was a late teen and early twenties I rode my bike everywhere;
Got ran off the road into a house front picket fence riding downtown Andover, MA. Bike toast, me a bit scraped.

I still have a nice 70's Raleigh tenner in the basement. Nice machine. Mine was a sentinel Not so good as a Raleigh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

It would be particularly inappropriate for me to make a decision that is driven by the emotion of this event. I'm not sure that a rational assessment of the potential risks and rewards to cycling is possible for me at the moment. I fully recognize that you might consider it appropriate for you make the decision to give up riding at this time. I certainly didn't mean to imply that what's right for me should be right for you just as I'm sure that you wouldn't mean to suggest that your understanding of rational thought should be mine.

Well, I ride a bicycle, and sometimes a motorcycle, in TAIWAN. No way can I take a "more rational than thou" position, since this is plainly a bloody dangerous/stupid thing to do. I was just suggesting that the popular "get back on that horse" dictum shouldn't be accepted uncritically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back