Which battery to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These 2 batteries are identical but from 2 different sources. Same specs,same case etc. Price is only a few dollars difference.

One place has a 36 month free replacement and that's it.

Other place has 18 months free then a 75 month prorate.

I agree with eljefino here. Get the 3 yr free replacement battery. I got a Deka battery last month from Federated Auto parts and strangely enough it had only a 30 month free replacement period of time on it and prorated after that. I thought it would have been a 36 month free replacement time period. But since it's a East Penn Deka battery I feel that it will be really good for longer than even 36 months.

I'm guessing your pro rata battery is from Napa and you're paying full retail.

In which case, I would go for that one. I read the Napa warranty terms and they are good.

My reasoning is this:

A manufacturing defect will more likely appear sooner rather than later, so both options cover that likelihood similarly.

If something happens in the second 18 months, you'll still get a large % of your money back with the pro rata battery.

Since you're a car guy, you battery will likely last beyond 36 months so you'll get some value from the pro rata warranty.

Also, if the 36 month battery does get changed, the new battery most likely inherits the original warranty ie it does not extend it. With the pro rata battery, the replacement battery warranty starts again.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I'm guessing your pro rata battery is from Napa and you're paying full retail.

In which case, I would go for that one. I read the Napa warranty terms and they are good.

My reasoning is this:

A manufacturing defect will more likely appear sooner rather than later, so both options cover that likelihood similarly.

If something happens in the second 18 months, you'll still get a large % of your money back with the pro rata battery.

Since you're a car guy, you battery will likely last beyond 36 months so you'll get some value from the pro rata warranty.

Also, if the 36 month battery does get changed, the new battery most likely inherits the original warranty ie it does not extend it. With the pro rata battery, the replacement battery warranty starts again.
actually I'm paying my shop price

Will you get the replacement at shop price?

I guess you would, in which case pro rata is still better IMO.

My comment about retail was more about using coupons eg at AAP which makes replacement on a pro rata basis expensive.

I'm going to suggest the 3-year free replacement battery for the simple fact that I just had one fail....a couple months short of the 3-year warranty date.

Read the terms also, for example Optima's Red Top warranty is now 36 months free, but
used to be prorated on the list price.

Buy it at , and in 2.5 years
the warranty is worthless because a new one bought at is the same
as the warranty adjustment.

Maxx at Walmart. Look for the month/year build label on top of the battery. Very often there are newer batteries on the back of the rack. Ask for the one you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back