Drums warped out of box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did the rear drums/shoes of my Silverado. When I was replacing shoes I accidentally pushed piston in wheel cylinder too far on one direction and some brake fluid trickled out. After an oh [censored] I immediately put it back. Do we think there's a problem that will be caused by this? Also, almost immediately, it seemed like the new drums were warped. Is it possible for drums to be warped out of the box? These were the OEM GM ACDelcos (not the "professional" or "advantage" line).

Originally Posted By: andyd
Shoes maybe, drums at 70K? You are replacing too much too soon.

I figured since the last ones had such a clear section of rust vs. brake area I would replace them since I had to replace the shoes, which were shot.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Chris,

So what do you do?
I turn the new ones on our brake lathe before putting them on the car. Way too many come backs if I don't turn them

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Chris,

So what do you do?
I turn the new ones on our brake lathe before putting them on the car. Way too many come backs if I don't turn them

Do you normally find yourself taking some off? I.e. are they noticeably f'ed up out of the box? If so that is horribly f'ed up!!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Chris,

So what do you do?

Do you normally find yourself taking some off? I.e. are they noticeably f'ed up out of the box? If so that is horribly f'ed up!!
no I put them on the car,first time I hit the brakes the things shakes like mad. I put it back on the lift,take them off, turn them and it's fixed

That sucks man. This has happened to me a lot recently. Shocks leaking two days after install, a bad MAP sensor right out of the box, now this with the drums/rotors. It's insane. When will it stop? It just sucks that new parts are so often shot. I am just a shade tree. I can only imagine how many bad parts shops must have to deal with.

IT happens. Usually if they are stored on their side for any length of time they will distort under their own weight. Had a manufacturer warn me about this during a trade convention. Says its very common.

I got two rear drums for my Accent from AutoZone. One would give a knocking sound when the brakes were applied. They gave me new on and all is well.

That sucks man. This has happened to me a lot recently. Shocks leaking two days after install, a bad MAP sensor right out of the box, now this with the drums/rotors. It's insane. When will it stop? It just sucks that new parts are so often shot. I am just a shade tree. I can only imagine how many bad parts shops must have to deal with.

Usually a light goes on at this point and you look for a different supplier.
I like a supplier that also supplies the neighborhood shops, as they are a lot less tolerant
to come-backs than a shadetree mechanic.

just curious where you are getting your rotors and drums from.

I have yet to put on any that are warped out of the box or cause a vibration issue.

I put them on the brake lathe and check the run out and out of roundness with a dial indicator first, it saves a lot of time.
Take them to a shop with a brake lathe and have them check them first not just cat them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I put them on the brake lathe and check the run out and out of roundness with a dial indicator first, it saves a lot of time.
Take them to a shop with a brake lathe and have them check them first not just cat them.

If you don't have a brake lathe, put them on the lugs backwards and put the dial indicator on the inside.

Did you clean the hub surfaces and the round part that that goes in the drum center hole? I have a old Ammco brake lathe so its easier for me but it also takes the hub or axle out of the equation. If its true on the lathe but not on the vehicle its time to start investigating why.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Shoes maybe, drums at 70K? You are replacing too much too soon.

GM trucks from 2008 and up do not get much life from their brake shows and drums. I have dealt with some that have front disc brakes that are in good condition, yet the rear deums and shows have to be replaced.

As for machining them before installing them, I have encountered that in many cases. I'm not sure why quality control on brake drums has declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back