Should I dump my OE Conti Pro Contacts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 Civic EX sedan has as OE the VERY popular OE Continental Conti Pro Contact tires. Even though I have only 13,300 miles on them, I know these tires
are mediocre at BEST! Is there a premium Grand Totaling driving that really is THAT much better than the Conti's?

For instance, is there a tire that I would immediately feel a improvement in ride comfort, quietness and road nice and also handling?

I see Tire Rack have them ranked right in the middle, with MANY others tires above it.

Thanks

Last edited:
i have 17k on my factory coni procontacts and they seem to be doing fine. a tad loud on some roads but good in the rain. my size is 215-60-16. when they wear down a lil more ima prob upgrade them to the continental truecontacts.

Had the conti pros on my wife's BMW, and they were good for the price. When they were done, I replaced them w dunlops, and cannot tell the difference across the board for normal driving/commuting. It sucks that we aren't allowed to test drive tires before we purchase them. Good luck

Last edited:
I have those tires on the 2012 focus. They have 40k and am down to 4/16" tread and am replacing them with truecontacts or the RT43 in a few weeks. Honestly, the contipro contacts are a cheap garbage tire. I'd never recommend them to anyone. Horrible in winter weather and can easily spin on wet pavement. They've lasted longer than I thought they would though.

Run them down, then ...

Use the time in between to do your homework. All tires are a compromise. You can get rally car wheels and tires that will grip like glue in gravel and on dirt, but I wouldn't run them on the street. You can get nice quiet riding tires that will soak up expansion joints, but ain't goinna corner all that well. Or you can get something close to a street legal slick for Aurocross that will corner like the beejesus and last 8,000 miles, maybe ... But, you can't have it all. So figure out what you want and work in that direction
smile.gif

Also play with tire pressures. You likely have not found all that there is in the Conti's
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
replacing them with truecontacts or the RT43 in a few weeks.

+1 in the trucontacts they were a beast in the winter on my old impala.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you want even an ounce of handling, don't get the General Altimax RT43.

I've seen it say this before. I wonder if the vehicle the tires mount on make a difference? The RT43 handles great on my Taurus but it is quite a bit heavier.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you want even an ounce of handling, don't get the General Altimax RT43.

I've seen it say this before. I wonder if the vehicle the tires mount on make a difference? The RT43 handles great on my Taurus but it is quite a bit heavier.
Maybe, I had Goodyear GT somethings on my Camry when I bought it. It handled fine, wasn't mushy.

I've put Altimax RT43s on the 1970 VW Beetle and it's fine, but that car is like driving a washing machine anyways.

I also put a set on my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot. Seems fine, but anything is better than the OE Goodyear Eagles.

Truecontacts aren't a long life tire. After about 15K miles its down to 7/32s. Otherwise they are a very good tire. They were rotated once in that time, even wear. On the Grand Marquis.

Last edited:
Get the most use you can out of them then get new.

Originally Posted By: flinter
My 2015 Civic EX sedan has as OE the VERY popular OE Continental Conti Pro Contact tires. Even though I have only 13,300 miles on them, I know these tires
are mediocre at BEST! Is there a premium Grand Totaling driving that really is THAT much better than the Conti's?

For instance, is there a tire that I would immediately feel a improvement in ride comfort, quietness and road nice and also handling?

I see Tire Rack have them ranked right in the middle, with MANY others tires above it.

Thanks

which version? Regular ProContact? Or the ProContact TX?

Keep in mind OE tires can be a different design than aftermarket, even with the same brand and name.
http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html
The OE Continentals on my Matrix were mediocre, had a strange wear pattern where I had to get them flipped over on the rims halfway through their life, became noisy and were done at 25K miles.
I then ran a set of Yokohamas which were far better for 37K miles (down to 4/32") and now I'm taking a chance with Conti PureContacts.

Last edited:
Keep them on until they wear out. I had a Honda that came with those tires as well. I had a flat and the tire was damaged. Wanting to keep all the tires the same, I bought a replacement Pro Contact at Americas Tire. As I drove the OEM tires wore fast, not so the new tire. The OEM tires wore out (last one done by 25,000 miles). New ones I put on all went over 50,000 miles. Ride and handling seemed better as well.

I replaced the Pro Contacts that came w/my Golf @ 19K. Wet/snow traction was poor. They rode quiet and were holding up well. Bought Pirelli P4's @ Sam's Club when they were on sale and came w/a instant rebate. The service was stellar. I am very glad I did. Much better traction and they ride very well. More road noise though. I have no regrets at all doing this when I did. I'd say change them out when the next big sale comes along.

Quote:

General RT43 for sure. Amazing tire in all of those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back