2d party printer ink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Canon ink jet printer and find Canon factory ink is expensive. I only use my printer for documents (no photographs) and wonder if anyone has experience with these aftermarket inks. SKIA, SHERMAD HERO OR SHERMAN? Other suggestions? Thank you Ed

I'd recommend getting a brother laser..
They have very cheap aftermarket toner.. and very good reliability.

printers go for around 50$ multifunction scanner/copier/printer for 80$ on sale.

If you print much at all, a cheap laser printer is far more economical to use.
Wanna print photos? It's far cheaper to have a local camera shop do this than to do it at home and the quality is better as well.
Many of the aftermarket cartridges are refilled originals which often don't work all that well.
Is this really the case?
I think that it must be. Why else would office supply stores offer a credit for each empty brought to them?
Buy a laser printer and use only new toner in it. The actual cost per page won't be any higher using virgin versus refilled cartridges for either an inkjet or a laser printer anyway, since the virgin cartridges last longer without problems.
We are required to buy "recycled" toner cartridges at work and the cartridges aren't nearly as good as HP OEMs. What you save in cost of purchase you more than lose in number of pages you can print as well as in the number of defective as delivered cartridges that we get.
Return them for replacement? Sure, but how much paid time do you end up having people use in doing that?

I've used off-brand ink in my color ink-jet printer with good success. Don't need to print in color so I switched to a laser all in one. I need to scan from home for my job and the sheet fed scanner on my HP works great.

Yes again on investing on a laser printer. Brother laser printers are good. I had one that worked well, even when I used Linux. My wife wanted a printer that that prints on both sides and she bought a fantastic Okidata printer

I've had really good service from both ink jet and laser Brother printers. In our home ink jet, I've run cheap new generic cartridges for more than 10 years. I've had to have run 300+ cartridges through it. I used to buy them from a place for $2 a piece. Then a few years ago they became available for around 50 cents a piece in bulk on Amazon.

Last edited:
I have a new canon ink jet and my question was if any after market inks were good. I have a laser at my disposal at Church and it is too limited. The only thing good about a laser, is cheap B&W documents. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have a new canon ink jet and my question was if any after market inks were good. I have a laser at my disposal at Church and it is too limited. The only thing good about a laser, is cheap B&W documents. Ed

Based on my experience with the ones for Brother, yes. I did use some ones for Canon a really long time ago and those were ok, maybe not as good... But I think the quality of these cheapies has improved over the years, as seen in use for my Brother... I think regardless of intended printer manufacturer.

I have a Canon ink jet printer and find Canon factory ink is expensive. I only use my printer for documents (no photographs) and wonder if anyone has experience with these aftermarket inks. SKIA, SHERMAD HERO OR SHERMAN? Other suggestions? Thank you Ed

To actually answer your question about OEM vs. Aftermarket INK...

I haven't run a Canon printer for many years. I have swapped over to HP printers only these days as the ink lasts a lot longer than any other brand( Canon, Lexmark, Epsom, etc... ). However, when I did have a Canon printer I felt the same as you = the OEM ink was just too darn $$$( and it didn't last long at all ).

I have not used any of those aftermarket brands that I can recall. Try entering them in a search engine( Bing, Google, etc... )and add reviews after it to read what people who have used them say? For example type in "Sherman Ink Cartridge Reviews". I did and got this page from Amazon where it is a 46% negative( 1 star ) to 47% Positive( 5 & 4 star )review on them. That was about my success with aftermarket ink = 50/50. You just never knew when a cartridge would work okay or work poorly/not at all.

Staples used to have their own line of inks which only cost about 60% of the OEM inks. Those worked really well and I bought those for the Canon all the time. I think they were the OEM inks just in Staples packaging. When Staples stopped selling their own house brand labeled inks is when I tried various aftermarket brands of ink cartridges and refill offerings from EBay and across the internet. They were terrible! Some didn't work at all while most worked poorly at best.

I can't comment specifically on those brands you posted about. Sorry. I don't remember the off brands I used. As said, do an internet search for reviews on them. My comments are being made in general. IMO non OEM ink cartridges are not as good and are a [censored] shoot. When I had a Canon that definitely applied.

I would say to spend the extra $$$ and get Canon ink. A little more at purchase but better quality makes it worth it to me. Also, get yourself a Staples Rewards membership if you don't already have one. Take your old ink cartridges to them and get $2 each back in rewards that can be used at their stores.

Note - you don't get the $2 at time of turn in. It is credited to your account and issued at the end of the month. $10/5 cartridges in rewards max p/month. Still, it is a free $10.

If you tire of the high cost of Canon ink look for an HP printer that will do what you want and buy it( check ink prices 1st and make sure it isn't some weird super $$$ ink needed ). You will save a lot of money on the ink cartridges when you purchase them over other brands plus you generally can print more.

For example, I got my current printer/scanner combo for $69.99 at Best Buy( on sale and came with ink ). It works great. Very happy with it. It uses #564 ink. A combo packet of black and color inks for it only costs $39 and that even includes the black as the XL( extra life ). I can print a TON of stuff before needing ink out of that $39 pack of cartridges.

Couldn't answer specifically on those inks you mention but tried to offer what advice and experience I could based on what you asked. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Agree on the HP Printers lasting longer..... and without issues. I've owned two HPs in over 17 years and neither one ever broke down. HP Ink last longer than house brand replacements too.

Eddie needs to shop wisely next time he needs a printer. Do your homework over the internet and find out what lasts longest and cheapest in ink-use. In the meantime, replace with Canon ink.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Agree on the HP Printers lasting longer..... and without issues. I've owned two HPs in over 17 years and neither one ever broke down. HP Ink last longer than house brand replacements too.

Eddie needs to shop wisely next time he needs a printer. Do your homework over the internet and find out what lasts longest and cheapest in ink-use. In the meantime, replace with Canon ink.

I've had HP, Canon, Brother, and Epson Inkjets. None really lasted more or less than the others. If you really want cheap ink prices buy the more expensive "Office" lines. They typically have CPP of color lasers and `my latest, an Espson Workforce has great output.

B&W lasers are a good value but the SOHO color lasers (my last was an Color LaserJet 2600) have insane CPP and refill prices. The refills for the CLJ 2600 were over $400 ($100+ ea*4).

I've also tried 3rd party inks and as others have said some are good, some suck. Costco's was one of the betters.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

To actually answer your question about OEM vs. Aftermarket INK...

I haven't run a Canon printer for many years. I have swapped over to HP printers only these days as the ink lasts a lot longer than any other brand( Canon, Lexmark, Epsom, etc... ). However, when I did have a Canon printer I felt the same as you = the OEM ink was just too darn $$$( and it didn't last long at all ).

I have not used any of those aftermarket brands that I can recall. Try entering them in a search engine( Bing, Google, etc... )and add reviews after it to read what people who have used them say? For example type in "Sherman Ink Cartridge Reviews". I did and got this page from Amazon where it is a 46% negative( 1 star ) to 47% Positive( 5 & 4 star )review on them. That was about my success with aftermarket ink = 50/50. You just never knew when a cartridge would work okay or work poorly/not at all.

Staples used to have their own line of inks which only cost about 60% of the OEM inks. Those worked really well and I bought those for the Canon all the time. I think they were the OEM inks just in Staples packaging. When Staples stopped selling their own house brand labeled inks is when I tried various aftermarket brands of ink cartridges and refill offerings from EBay and across the internet. They were terrible! Some didn't work at all while most worked poorly at best.

I can't comment specifically on those brands you posted about. Sorry. I don't remember the off brands I used. As said, do an internet search for reviews on them. My comments are being made in general. IMO non OEM ink cartridges are not as good and are a [censored] shoot. When I had a Canon that definitely applied.

I would say to spend the extra $$$ and get Canon ink. A little more at purchase but better quality makes it worth it to me. Also, get yourself a Staples Rewards membership if you don't already have one. Take your old ink cartridges to them and get $2 each back in rewards that can be used at their stores.

Note - you don't get the $2 at time of turn in. It is credited to your account and issued at the end of the month. $10/5 cartridges in rewards max p/month. Still, it is a free $10.

If you tire of the high cost of Canon ink look for an HP printer that will do what you want and buy it( check ink prices 1st and make sure it isn't some weird super $$$ ink needed ). You will save a lot of money on the ink cartridges when you purchase them over other brands plus you generally can print more.

For example, I got my current printer/scanner combo for $69.99 at Best Buy( on sale and came with ink ). It works great. Very happy with it. It uses #564 ink. A combo packet of black and color inks for it only costs $39 and that even includes the black as the XL( extra life ). I can print a TON of stuff before needing ink out of that $39 pack of cartridges.

Couldn't answer specifically on those inks you mention but tried to offer what advice and experience I could based on what you asked. Good luck with it.

Somehow my link vanished????

https://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Cartridge...iews/B00PX5456W

I don't know if they're available for your printer, but I bought refillable cartridges for my Epson and couldn't be happier. Cheap, long lasting, excellent quality prints.

I love the non answers to the OP's question. People so often like to answer the question they want to, rather than what is asked.

I've used no name ebay cartridges for our old HP and our current Brother inkjets for years with no issues whatsoever. I'm talking the $16 delivered for 2 blacks and 1 each of the 5 different colors variety.

jeff

I've been running outlaw ink carts in various Canons for years. Never had a problem other than the box of leftover ink after a printer died.

I use an CISS ink tank system. There is an external tank for each color, with lines running into the aftermarket cartridge in the printer. I am very happy with my current system as I have printed north of 5,000 pages since I have gotten it. The papers we print are heavy on graphics. So far my costs have been around $130 for the tank system and the ink I have bought.

I still have ink left, but I figure my costs per page for the system plus the ink has been around 2 cents per page. That is heavy on graphics.

Thank you to all who actually read my post and answered my question. My last two printers were HP and although ink was cheaper, the printers were not the top-tier quality that made HP a good printer. Both of my Canon printers have been outstanding quality compared to the HP units. Ed

Last edited:
I would recommend buying a brother monochrome laser printer, and feeding that thing cheap ink.

I buy one toner from ebay or amazon for about 15 dollars, it lasts one year. Every two or three years I buy a new drum which is 15 dollars also.

If you want to print out some photos, upload them to walgreens, or walmart and have them print them out for a few cents per print.

There is no reason to print photos at home. My mom bought a photo printer and learned it was way cheaper (and better) to have a one hour photo studio do it versus buying expensive printers, ink, and paper.

My brother HL-2140 is about 10 years old and still works like day one. I think it has 15,000 impressions on it the last time I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back