The Top Dexos2 Oil Available in the USA is What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your out of warranty, get rid of the emmision equipment, get a programmer, and run regular rotella

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
When your out of warranty, get rid of the emmision equipment, get a programmer, and run regular rotella

Well, in states that are in 21st century you cannot actually register vehicle if you temper with emission system.

This forum is world famous amongst oily types for daft illegal comments.

Firstly removing emissions control equipment is an illegal act unless the vehicle is only used on a registered race track. Secondly any modifications to the exhaust system or ECU MAP must be approved of by the insurance company for the policy to be valid.

Regular Rotella is a budget oil that is OK for diesels and probably OK for most gas jobs, as long as you don't do too long an OCI.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Firstly removing emissions control equipment is an illegal act unless the vehicle is only used on a registered race track. Secondly any modifications to the exhaust system or ECU MAP must be approved of by the insurance company for the policy to be valid.

Who fed you that line? The first thing I would do if I owned a DPF-equipped vehicle would be to hollow that sucker out or remove it, warranty or not.

If you plan on keeping your DPF (don't know why you would) then running a higher SAPS oil than specified will require more frequent regen cycles until eventually the DPF is full of ash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Who fed you that line? The first thing I would do if I owned a DPF-equipped vehicle would be to hollow that sucker out or remove it, warranty or not.

If you plan on keeping your DPF (don't know why you would) then running a higher SAPS oil than specified will require more frequent regen cycles until eventually the DPF is full of ash.

Why would you remove DPF? I personally like to breath air without soot in it.
But then NC, get the point.

Last edited:

Regular Rotella is a budget oil that is OK for diesels and probably OK for most gas jobs, as long as you don't do too long an OCI.

It usually comes to government conspiracy theory when ecology is discussed.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Why would you remove DPF? I personally like to breath air without soot in it.
But then NC, get the point.

Ahhh yes, the Colorado eco snob air of superiority. Fresh mountain air and old catless carbureted Beetles amd Subarus driven by hipsters.

Never mind the fact that a small diesel like in the Chevy will make less pollution with no emissions control devices than a gas engine that's 10-15 or more years old. Not many of those still on the road, right? And never mind the fact that a small diesel with DPF delete and tune will net the end user MORE power AND fuel economy. Is it better to use less fuel with slightly increased PARTICULATE emissions, or more fuel and lower emissions? Is it better to just nod in agreement with the government, or to do what is better for YOU?

But that's fine, keep kneeling in front of the EPA. What does the world look like in black and white?

So wait, you are comparing NEW Chevrolet Cruze wth 15 year old gasoline vehicle? What an "argument" for f... sake.
And how you know that Cruze without DPF and SCR would pollute less then 15 year old comparable engine? Any data?
And yes, fresh mountain air with a reason. I lived in South East, and as Alabama legislator would say (as all politicians in South East when the run out of arguments): God put coal in the ground so we can burn it. A lot of things God "created" but we still do not use it for a reason.
South East and facts always had seriously bad relationship.

Last edited:
Diesel particulate is heavy enough that most if it falls to the ground. Luckly for my 07 5.9 had no emmisions controls....I roll coal everyday

Diesel particulate is heavy enough that most if it falls to the ground. Luckly for my 07 5.9 had no emmisions controls....I roll coal everyday

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Go back to my 21 century post.

Not true, although it will wash out when it rains. Some of the older engines that did not have a CAT or DPF can produce fine drops of water that are heavily contaminated with blowby products when the engine was cold started or booted.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Toyota Tundra will have a Cummings Diesel engine option later this year

Let's see a viable source! Being that Cummins just recently made a deal with Nissan on a small V8 diesel for the Titan pickup, I find it hard to believe that Nissan would allow them to contract out to the competition, similar to Cummins being contracted to Mopar for the Cummins inline sixes found in the Ram trucks. From what I understand, Toyota isn't motivated in the least to offer diesel engines in the US market anytime soon. They are putting all their money towards hybrids and a slew of Atkinsin cycle powered engines. (Engines that run off both port and direct injection to hopefully conquer the mechanical problems associated with strictly DI engines). The "new" 3.5 Atkinsin cycle V6 found in the '16+ Tacoma and previous Lexus models, for example.

OP, as long was the Pennzoil is Dexos2 certified, I see no reason not to run it, It would definitely be my first choice! Second choice would be Castrol Edge SLX 5W-30 which is Dexos2 rated. Just whatever you do, make sure to use one that's Dexos2 certified for warranty purposes, especially with it being a new engine and powertrain design and all.
I'm excited about these new 2.8L Duramaxes, itching for one to come into my shop for a service so I can see what makes them tick!

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Looking for the "best" Dexos2 oil to be had,

Mobil Delvac 1...... it's what the truckers use. I have used this in my Dodge Shadow which, even with a blown headgasket, still went another 200,000 miles. And of course I use it in my VW Beetle Diesel and Cruze Diesel

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Toyota Tundra will have a Cummings Diesel engine option later this year

Let's see a viable source! Being that Cummins just recently made a deal with Nissan on a small V8 diesel for the Titan pickup, I find it hard to believe that Nissan would allow them to contract out to the competition, similar to Cummins being contracted to Mopar for the Cummins inline sixes found in the Ram trucks. From what I understand, Toyota isn't motivated in the least to offer diesel engines in the US market anytime soon. They are putting all their money towards hybrids and a slew of Atkinsin cycle powered engines. (Engines that run off both port and direct injection to hopefully conquer the mechanical problems associated with strictly DI engines). The "new" 3.5 Atkinsin cycle V6 found in the '16+ Tacoma and previous Lexus models, for example.

OP, as long was the Pennzoil is Dexos2 certified, I see no reason not to run it, It would definitely be my first choice! Second choice would be Castrol Edge SLX 5W-30 which is Dexos2 rated. Just whatever you do, make sure to use one that's Dexos2 certified for warranty purposes, especially with it being a new engine and powertrain design and all.
I'm excited about these new 2.8L Duramaxes, itching for one to come into my shop for a service so I can see what makes them tick!

Not sure where this Cummins in only select brands came about. You can get just about any commercial truck with a Cummins option along with the OEM proprietary engine. Cummins is in the engine business. They will sell to anyone who wants their engine in a truck. The ISB Cummins engine that is in the Ram is also offered in many medium duty trucks from other OEM's. Dodge didn't get an exclusive deal. I see no reason that if anyone came to Cummins and wanted to buy the V6 for their vehicle that Cummins would play some goofy "no we can't do that since we are already selling it to Nissan". Can you imagine them doing that with anything else? "Oh, we can't sell you a SX-15 because we already sell them to Freightliner for their trucks". Cummins sells the SX-15 to every major heavy truck maker in America. Volve, Paccar (Kenworth and Peterbilt), Freightliner/Western Star, International. And they sell the same ISB that is in the Ram as well to major medium duty OEM's also. They may have a contract with Mopar to make those engines, but that doesn't mean that no one else can buy them. Allison transmissions is the same way. Just because there is an Allison 1000 in a Chevy pickup with a Dmax engine (with GM having the authority to build that Allison 1000), Allison 1000's can be found in a wide variety of other medium duty trucks. Some of the same ones that have the Cummins engines in them.

Is it better to use less fuel with slightly increased PARTICULATE emissions..... or more fuel and lower emissions?

YES it is better for the local city environment to use MORE fuel but with lower emissions of NOx/soot.

That has been proved again-and-again. NOx creates smog, and soot is lung-damaging, which harms breathing in humans. Lowering both outputs is more important to CARB than saving fuel (read greenercars.org)

What is bad about that, is that most of the country where these diesels are located and used, there is little effect of the soot and NOx going on. Sure, concentrations in areas like cities that sit in a bowl type situation (L.A., Denver, etc) need to have a grip on NOx emission and particulates. There could be zero emissions stuff on these same engines in places like Iowa, Montana, Kansas, etc and no one could tell the difference except an EPA dweeb.

True, but that's why states have different standards. California and the Northeast states have a strict standard where Diesels must be as clean as a gasoline car (in other words: Very low NOx & soot output). The other 44 states are more lenient on diesels, because they still have clean air. (My birth state of PA has NO diesel smog inspection at all.)

Honestly I don't care either way.

When Chevrolet releases their new Cruze Diesel, I will be first in line. I have driven multiple hybrids, wasted thousands on battery replacements (yes they eventually wear out). Now I'm ready to chose diesel as my primary power source. The EPA passes regulations, but I vote with my dollars. We The People have the ultimate power because we have the money.

Even if the Cruze Diesel costs 25000 dollars I am buying it. I have a hybrid in California that refuses to work because it needs a new battery. Give me a "normal" car instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back