Options for budget battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the go to options regarding budget car batteries? I've read Ever Start from Wal-Mart was a solid option because of the warranty...is that still the case?

Group 24F is the battery in my application (mother's 2012 Toyota Rav4)

Even if Walmart isn't the best price, you won't be able to beat returning the battery if something goes wrong--there's a Walmart in every town it seems. Just leave the receipt in the glovebox.

That said, I haven't shopped around yet, for price or quality. But scuttlebutt here seems to be Walmart is a leading contender for batteries, so I had to buy one right now, it's probably where I'd go.

The Wal-Mart EverStart battery is reliable and a good value. You can sometimes score a good deal on a battery at Advanced Auto, but not everyday.

Walmart Value Power is only $48.88 and has a 1-year warranty
smile.gif

Made by JCI, and it is available in 24F

The valuepower battery at $48 from Walmart will probably give you 2-3 years of service, depending on your climate and use. The MAXX battery from Wal-Mart is over twice the price but I HIGHLY doubt that it will give you twice the performance or twice the longevity. Just get the $48 Valupower battery.

Besides, I'd rather have a fresh $48 battery every 3 years than run a $105 MAXX battery for 6 years.

Yes, these are good batteries. I have two of them in my truck. When I recently replaced them I was considering Motorcraft or these. Motorcrafts, while they may last longer, are considerably more expensive so I decided to got he other route. My trucks a 97 and doesn't have a lot of electrics therefore It didn't really matter much to me which to use.

WM's ahead of the game WRT lead prices dropping back to normalish. Advance wants you to jump through coupon shenanigans and the price is built-in anyway.

I have the value battery going on 10 months now in my truck. Drive it once a week to the dump; no issues.

I've had good luck with WM Everstart Maxx in my 2007 Rav4. Hard to beat the price and it has been reliable so far. Had it installed for a couple of years now.

ValuePower at Walmart, $48.88. I've had one in my Camry (24F) since January, I even sometimes forget the dome light on overnight. No problems.

Just replaced the Trailblazer's battery with a $48.88 ValuePower too. Starts like a charm.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
ValuePower at Walmart, $48.88. I've had one in my Camry (24F) since January, I even sometimes forget the dome light on overnight. No problems.

Just replaced the Trailblazer's battery with a $48.88 ValuePower too. Starts like a charm.
48 bucks AND 10 bucks off for the old battery.

Sometimes your local parts store can sell a good battery for less money because there is no nationwide warranty. I got one from a Parts Plus franchisee.

I paid about $65 for a 3 year ACDelco battery in the group 35 size a year ago.

About 5 years ago, I saved a large amount of money on a group 26R, but I don't remember what I paid. All I remember was that it was cheaper than Walmart or Autozone.

I am not sure what an independent parts store would charge for a 24F battery, but usually it is priced closely to a group 35 battery.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

48 bucks AND 10 bucks off for the old battery.
No, the $48.88 is the price after core.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Costco sells Interstate in my area. Is there a Tractor Supply Store in your area?

Yes, there is a Tractor Supply in my area.

The MAXX was on sale for $93.?? at Walmart this AM. Try to find the one with the latest build code. I saw several that had a 7/16 sticker so they are relatively fresh but the ones on the back of the rack may have a newer build date.

My local Interstate dealer sells an "Econo Power" line of refurbished batteries. Bought one for $35 for a car I was selling.

Beats wasting money on a new battery from elsewhere, since the warranties are only valid for the original purchaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back