clutch fork pin dropped in trans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing clutch hydraulics on the newly rebuilt saturn. The plastic wings on the end caught the edge of the case and the pull pulled free of the slave and dropped in and down beside the flywheel.

I really did not want to have to remove the struts and suspension and slide the trans apart to get it out. I did a bit of work with an angle grinder and a chainsaw file to get it out.

Man it was a pain to fish out, i used 1/2 of an old piston ring to fish it out.

I knicked the flywheel teeth a bit, hopefully it's not a problem.

Last edited:
You're fine. Good job.

That little butterfly thing could have been designed better. Works smoothly once at the factory then "mechanic beware".

I left the flywheel inspection cover off my wife's SL for years. Forgot to stick it in during a clutch job. Nothing bad like corrosion ever happened inside the bellhousing area.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What a hack job...

yea i agree, but it beat 3-4 hrs of trans removal!

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Strong magnets on a telescoping rod are your friend.

As long as there aren't any large steel objects (like, say, a flywheel) in the immediate vicinity. Then they're bloody useless.

Still, that's never an issue on cars, is it?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Strong magnets on a telescoping rod are your friend.

As long as there aren't any large steel objects (like, say, a flywheel) in the immediate vicinity. Then they're bloody useless.

Still, that's never an issue on cars, is it?

Made myself an electromagnetic wand thing to get round that problem. Probably still got it somewhere.

Manouvred it into position (off, naturally), then hooked it up to the battery. Bingo!

Then it started to smoke. Gave myself a nasty little burn un-hooking it.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

There was not room for the head of the pin to fit between the trans case and the flywheel. It was either cut out room for it , or do a lot of work to slide the fwd trans apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back