GM W-body ABS/TRACTION- wheel bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2006 Lacrosse which seems to be making some noise that could maybe be a wheel bearing. When I pull away from the curb (parked by my house, turn gently out- not turning tightly), it makes a bit of a buzzing/vibrating noise. And there's a vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel at the same time. It has been doing this more lately. If I drive it around in a circle it sometimes does it, and occasionally it will do the same thing when turning at slowish speeds. Last night I was backing out of a parking spot and it made the noise, and ABS/Traction control lights came on. It said on the DIC: "Service ABS system/Service Traction control system/Traction control off". I drove it around a cul de sac in a tight circle to the left this morning and it made the noise and illuminated the warning lights. The code is: C0040 RIGHT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. For the record, the noise is like a bzzzzt. It's hard to describe but I can always feel it in the wheel when I can hear it. It has made the noise for as long as I've had the car (10,000 miles) but was very occasional at the start. Now it's a common occurrence. Is this a symptom of a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly? I was going to live with the noise/slight vibration but not if it's throwing codes. Any thoughts?

I recently replaced the front drivers side wheel bearing on my Blazer. I only heard the humming noise between 35 and 45 mph. Before replacing I tested it out on a couple different On & Off Ramps that turn both left and right. And the noise consistantly disappeared when turning left so I concluded it was a bearing on the left side. I replaced it and the humming was gone.
Yes a bad wheel bearing can throw a wheel sensor code.

Last edited:
It needs a pair of front hubs, common with these. Replace these in pairs, the other one probably isn't far behind.
Use high quality hubs like the SKF X-Tracker and use a little heat from a propane torch on the 3 hub bolts to break the red loctite bond. Make sure to use the revised torque spec not the original, the new spec is 119 ft lbs.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
The code is: C0040 RIGHT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. For the record, the noise is like a bzzzzt. It's hard to describe but I can always feel it in the wheel when I can hear it.

The noise plus the code pretty much guarantees it on these. The wheel sensor is in the sealed hub and not serviceable, I have done so many of these over the years but the lower torque spec of the cv axle nut seems to work well at preventing premature failures.

Do yourself a favor and replace it once not 3 times. This fits your vehicle:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4100561/Re:_Moog_Wheel_Bearing_Made_In#Post4100561

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272114901391?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Why would I buy possibly iffy no name stuff when I can get Genuine SKF X- Tracker with a 100K life expectancy, and 3 year 36K warranty for $97? Moog bought National which were an excellent hub and made in USA but the NOS is now almost depleted and lower quality Chinese replacements are being sold at the same or increased price.
Timken is doing the same thing although for these W bodies there is a large supply of NOS, buy Timken local only and check the COO the USA made ones are top shelf.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1841224&cc=1430915&jsn=442

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back