MC 0w20 syn-blend, 9500 miles, 05 Toyota Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you have a bit of fuel dilution and you topped-off with with an ATF which does not have the correct additive package.

Unless you have recently replaced a gasket, I would look at your air intake system as well and maybe replace the air filter and tighten up clamps.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: doublebase
I always thought Motorcraft synthetic blend had a pretty robust additive package? I was surprised to see it so weak...I'll have to check Motorcraft off my list of oils to buy.

Don't conflate this particular oil with the entire lineup; it's formulated specifically, and only recommended for, the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle cars (Fusion Hybrid, MKZ Hybrid, C-Max).

Maximizing efficiency in a new engine design, and minimizing wear (BiTOG standards here...) in a 10+ year old, timing-chain equipped 1ZZ-FE are different formulation considerations.

I always assumed that 0w20 oils were interchangeable with 5w20 oils because they are both 20 weights at operating temps while the 0w20 would also offer better start-up wear and MPG while cold....plus it probably contains more PAO.

Now I'm being told that some of these 0w20's are being formulated for 'fuel economy' over 'wear protection'...how revolting!

I have a couple of cases of TGMO and I haven't decided what to use it in....Am I to believe that this oil is one of these 'economy over durability' oils???....

Why's it so revolting? They developed a product for a specific application, and then someone else along the way decides to use it in something else; that's not on them.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Now I'm being told that some of these 0w20's are being formulated for 'fuel economy' over 'wear protection'...how revolting!

This is NEWS to you?

MANY (most?) punters won't see any return from improved wear protection, but they'll see an immediate return from fuel economy improvements, so its an entirely reasonable commercial offering.

It'd be bad if there wasn't a choice, but that isn't (yet) generally the case.

If you don't like skinny oils, don't buy them.

Last edited:
I do not really believe that any newer engine oil skips on engine protection. It is just that majority of the R&D goes towards fuel economy.
But for anyone with a new car there really is no concern. He will be forced to give up on his vehicle for an autonomous electric long before his engine seizes on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back