Fram Ultra XG9018 Pics...failure or engine prob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter came out of a 2006 Cobalt with a 2.2l engine. It was in service 2 years and 5 months for 15,000 miles. The 2.2l seems to "crush" certain filters, though I haven't seen any Ultra's, but that might be the case here. Is this a case of failure or should I be concerned this engine has issues?

Here are the pics.

Notice the small piece of metal at the bottom of the filter. Is this a piece of the wire backing?

Close up.

Seems like the media came free from the potting material - the wire backing seemed to be keeping the media in place but there is some movement.

Another piece of metal.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Fram says to run that filter how long ?

From Fram's site:
Quote:
Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides up to 15,000 miles of engine protection.

*Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual.

The OLM would have went off around 7,500 miles in this case.

If that engine crushes many different brand filters, then it sounds like and engine fitment issue. Is the "metal" you talking about the what looks like a white spot on the media? Does it come off ... I doubt it's the wire backing.

Mine usually "crush" when I turn them to change it....

Had that filter for a few OCIs with my 2006 Cobalt....and it held up very well...I was impressed!

In my case I went back to the Delco ones just because I have great luck with these too and they cost less...and I tend to change them sooner...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is the "metal" you talking about the what looks like a white spot on the media? Does it come off ... I doubt it's the wire backing.

Yes, the second pic above is the best shot I could get. And yes at least one piece came off, there are a couple in the filter.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Is the "metal" you talking about the what looks like a white spot on the media? Does it come off ... I doubt it's the wire backing.

Yes, the second pic above is the best shot I could get. And yes at least one piece came off, there are a couple in the filter.

If it came off, then it's not part of the wire backing. It was something from inside the engine that the filter caught.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Mine usually "crush" when I turn them to change it....

Had that filter for a few OCIs with my 2006 Cobalt....and it held up very well...I was impressed!

In my case I went back to the Delco ones just because I have great luck with these too and they cost less...and I tend to change them sooner...

Yeah - I've done changes on a couple of other Cobalt's and never run into the crushing on Ultra's (I have on Purolator).

Makes you wander how many other fram ultras do this. We should start a spreadsheet.

If in doubt, read the instructions and use a real OEM oil filter.

You get what you pay for from cheap filters and I would not do a 15K OCI without a few UOA's to confirm all is well. The filter is not blocked and the metal fragment is not uncommon. If you have more fragments in the pleats that is more significant.

The important part is the "UP TO 15,000 MILES", that means it's a maximum figure only. I would just use the max oil change interval listed in the owners handbook unless you have really done your homework.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

If it came off, then it's not part of the wire backing. It was something from inside the engine that the filter caught.

That's what it looks like to me. It would be interesting to see a UOA, although the bigger stuff probably won't show up in the report, it still might indicate if something is going on.

Some of the ecotec post use cartridge anecdotes posted here show up with a crushed/compacted looking appearance. In my observation the consistently best looking cartridge for this application has been the Hengst made ACDelco oem cartridge.

That said, it seems 'based on the link' below Ultra cartridges themselves have sizing issues that could cause or add to any fitment issues. Whether this or something else has caused the complete endcap displacement of some Ultra and other Fram cartridges linked in the link is unknown. However unlike the Ultra spin on filters, based on post use Ultra anecdotes I am unimpressed with the cartridges generally. My.02

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4120400/1

As for the piece of metal, if loose unlikely it is the wire backing. Thinking also if wire backing you would be able to see through the media completely. Won't speculate on what it might be. I'd say if you had been doing UOAs then you have a trending indication. If not, one UOA alone might or might not give some indication.

Thanks for pics.

The metal could also be from the manufacturing process of the filter. A loose piece of metal that was lodged in this filter.

My Ecotec is the only vehicle I use an OEM filter on - only run 7500 on those as the OLM is pretty much done around then ...
They have lots of even spaced pleats - get them for $7-something on eBay ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My Ecotec is the only vehicle I use an OEM filter on - only run 7500 on those as the OLM is pretty much done around then ...
They have lots of even spaced pleats - get them for $7-something on eBay ...

+1. I bought eight on Ebay for about $5 each after confirming they were Hengst made. If you see them listed and it doesn't say Hengst, then they are probably made overseas. Email the
seller and ask before you buy.

I snap them into the cap, then install - wonder if a few don't wind up in compression doing it the other way and missing the hole.

In my observation and using google to search it seems the Hengst made oem ACDelco cartridge is becoming more scarce, if not discontinued.

The newer ACDelco cartridge with yellowish media doesn't look to be Hengst made 'to me'.

Summit Racing shows the Hengst made ACDelco linked and not available. The second link shows the replacement renamed cartridge. Second one my be fine, but I see no definitive indication on the cartridge it is Hengst made like original.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acf-pf457g

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-pf457g

I don't think that the metal could be from the wire backing.
It's on the wrong side of the media for that to be the case.
tig may be right and the filter came from the factory with a little metal embedded in the media.
It's also possible that your engine has suffered some transient event that shed an unusual quantity of metal and the filter did its job in catching it. Who knows?
A UOA might tell you something, but only with particle counts and only if you have some basis of comparison.

Opened one of mine that came in last week. Box says AC Delco Made in USA - the yellow/black filter says Hengst - also Made in USA ... Again - loaded with even spaced pleats ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back