98 corolla, how too change battery cables????

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI again all. 98 toyota corolla, VE model. MY car has a wiring harness actually. Dealer wants $550 for a new harness. the harness, includes, is part, of the negative and postiive cable i belive. Is thier a way, too buy from atuozone, napa, ect, new positive and negative cables, and replace instead of removing and buying andinstalling the entire harness? or is itall one big long piece? the harness.
the ends are 18 years old, and appear black now, so wanna install new positive and negative cables, but without removing and buying the entire harness! thats crazy!$550...
I talked too parts guy at my local toyota dealer today and he said its allone big piee, the positive and negativearepart of the harness. any chance i could just buy the $6 cables from autozone and install them?

wow! so alli need is too buy the positive and negative cable and thats it? i belive the neagtive is grounded too top of transmissio.
if i may ask...what do i have too do, like howdo i connect everything too everything using autozone cables?
where would i make the coonections too?

ill check back todaylate afternoon. worked 16 hours and gotta be up in 4 hours for anothershift.any help anyone who can help walk me from connection too connection with aftedrmarket cables deepleyapprecated!

the battery cables separate from the main engine wiring harness, fairly certain i sold the battery cables on ebay about a year ago to some alaskan guy when i shredded a 98 corolla. at least the negative end. here you go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Cable-Standard-A31-6UD-fits-98-00-Toyota-Corolla-1-8L-L4-/391469704581?fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ACorolla&hash=item5b2569a585:g:DnYAAOSwgQ9V59z9&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Have you attempted yet a wire wheel brush on a drill or something similar to shine up your old terminal ends? As long as you don't have battery acid travelling down the insulation you could save them IMO.

The big positive cable goes to the starter solenoid terminal, and there should be a smaller wire coming from the alternator. The best place to put the ground(negative) is on one of the starter mounting bolts. You could put the ground anywhere on the motor I guess, but the starter draws by far the most current so it's best to put it right on there. Switched them out many times.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Have you attempted yet a wire wheel brush on a drill or something similar to shine up your old terminal ends? As long as you don't have battery acid travelling down the insulation you could save them IMO.

+1

Sounds like you are fixing something that aint broken..just clean them. On a 98..i wouldnt fix what isnt broken.

I never have seen a Toyota where the battery cables were part of the engine wiring harness. But the I haven't owned, worked on or seen all models of the Corolla.Suggest you looked at the battery cable arrangement again. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back