Small oil extractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get some maintenance done on the wife's Explorer 3.5L EB before winter rolls around. Besides motor oil/filter and a trans drain&fill I'd like to replace the PTU oil and rear diff oil - this will require a fluid extractor and fill pump. I have no issues using a cheapy screw on bottle top pump to replace the 1pt and 1qt respectively but what about extractors?

I have a 18oz suction gun which I've used for everything from ATF changes through the dipstick, power steering fluid and brake MC bottle... I'm sure it will work, but I'd love a more hands free approach to allow better control of the suction hose tip. NOT willing to spend a ton of money, though. Any thoughts? I don't have a large air compressor so those options are out. Would one of those amazon/ebay cheap 12v fluid extractors do the trick? I know gear oil would be a bit thick but its also a small amount.

I have one of the cheap orange ones that some people say not to get (the $5 walmart/harbor freight siphon pump).
I used it to extract 6 quarts of (warm) atf in about 15 minutes. It's better than I expected for the money and sounds like what you need. Walmart siphon pump link

if you're super cheap you can use your diff fluid pump to also extract. but you'll have awkwardly pump the mechanism manually instead of it being on top of a stable bottle..

Last edited:
Thats what I'll likely do- my suction gun is 18oz which is plenty for a one shot fill of the PTU and 2 for the rear dif in these Explorers. Just not thrilled about the need to break it down for cleaning first!

Lately, I've been using one of these. At roughly $8, these are throw-away IMO. It's nearly impossible to keep clean without investing $20 worth of brake cleaner and storing the pump without making a mess is nearly impossible. I wouldn't be a fan of using it with some GL-5 gear oil and then using it to fill some GL-4 into a manual gearbox so at that point it's easier to just buy new.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Custom-Accessories-Pennzoil-Multi-Use-Hand-Pump/16767856

The ones my store carries are yellow with clear hose. HF carries something like this, but the Pennzoil pump has hose collet/ quick disconnect fittings that hold the hose onto the pump. Speaking from experience, pumping gear oil with the HF pump and no fittings to secure the hose will cause a blow out.

I seem to remember someone telling me that you can siphon out gear oil with a piece of tubing. The thing is that it takes time, like overnight. The other thing would be securing the tubing so the intake remains at the low point in the differential / gearbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back